Quote: "Don't Buy an Electric Car.."

a place to discuss current events and other non hobby topics.
retiredVTT

Quote: "Don't Buy an Electric Car.."

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjG15K6BU5o

Wow.. this is an interesting video...apparently if you do buy an electric car, you should be charging it only at home..

I guess for now the better way to go is to get either a Hybrid or a PHEV
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Scooterboy

Re: Quote: "Don't Buy an Electric Car.."

Unread post by Scooterboy » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:41 pm

Hmmmm, I'm pretty sure that I am not a cyberman, and I'm pretty sure this fellow chose the incorrect car for its intended use.
If someone plans on taking long trips and relying on the charging station infrastructure, I would suggest that an electric car is not for them. Not yet anyways.
However; I think an electric car can be a good option if they were to buy a practical car at a much lower cost than a Porsche Macan; use the car like most people to go get groceries, go to the field flying, deliver the kids to hockey, commute to work 5 days a week, or whatever. And do your charging at home at night where it is a fraction of the cost of charging stations (and much better for the batteries too).
I think we are still in the early days of the technology. Sort of like flying an early RC plane full of NiCad batteries. We haven't discovered LiPos yet.

Lexflyer2022

Unread post by Lexflyer2022 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:51 am

That is great investigative work Bill. So, at home needs a dedicated 240v charge port I believe. Cheers

Scooterboy

Unread post by Scooterboy » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:39 pm

Not really model aircraft stuff..... but it "is" electric I suppose.
Yeah, a 240v outlet with 40 amps I think will suffice for a home charger.
Some EVs come "with" a charger. Some of these chargers can plug into a standard 110 outlet and have an adapter for a 220 dryer or stove plug. I don't think the cords are not long enough to reach the neighbor's though. It just takes longer to charge.
A time of day meter could help by charging off peak when the cost of power is lower.
It truly doesn't make practical sense to have an EV if you would be relying on charging stations to do all the charging. It's costly, inconvenient and not good for the batteries.
Kevin