COVID-19 - Third Wave and Gathering Restrictions

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
bdg

COVID-19 - Third Wave and Gathering Restrictions

Unread post by bdg » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:07 am

The one constant is change and that has not been more apparent than the significant upheaval to our "normal" over the past year.

Your HEFA Executive have been continuing to focus attention to the safety of our members, their families and to the public in general. We have established a "COVID Return to Flying" procedure which is meant to formally support the safety of our organization and to align with Public Health requirements. Traceability is a significant portion of that plan and was specifically requested by the NS Government Agency. I would like to thank those who have been sending emails to log their activities at our fields but I do think that we could have been more rigorous in this aspect as well.

As a result of the latest announcements yesterday, we feel that there is no option other than to suspend flying under the HEFA umbrella for the foreseeable future. There is a gathering limit of 5 people both indoors and outdoors. We've tried to consider alternatives and ways to make this work but all are fraught with possible issues in exceeding these limits from either our members or from the public in general. As an organization, we need to follow the intentions of the newest restrictions and certainly that is with public safety in mind and eliminating gatherings.

From https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20210422005:
Capture_COVID_2021_04_23.JPG
We recognize that this suspension comes at a time when the weather is improving and which very much aligns with times for enjoyable outdoor flying - typically with our HEFA friends. But - at least for the next while - these activities will need to be suspended under the HEFA umbrella until further notice.

Please reach out should you have any comments at HalifaxElectricFlyers@outlook.com.

Thank you - and be safe!

HEFA Executive
  • President - Brian Gray
  • Vice President - Chris Hodgkinson
  • Treasurer - John Liddard
  • Secretary - Chris Hodgkinson
  • Director - Bill Foster
  • Director - Gary Foster

bdg

Re: COVID-19 - Third Wave and Gathering Restrictions

Unread post by bdg » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:48 am

We would like to thank our members for following the Nova Scotia Heath requirements. We absolutely recognize that we are getting into a great time of the year weather-wise but that public health trumps all. Further to this earlier post, there is some clarification on the website that organized recreational activities are prohibited. This is where we fall according to previous communications with government agencies.

An excerpt from https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/count ... s/halifax/:
Capture_COVID_2021_04_24.JPG
It's interesting as outdoor fitness activities can still take place with up to 25 people and social distancing. But that is not a "loop hole" that we want to pursue! Safety and intent prevail.

Thanks again to everyone.

ron53

Unread post by ron53 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:40 pm

Brian and the HEFA Executive:

I want to thank you for keeping us well informed about all the rules.
They seem to change every other day I know that You and the Executive will keep us safe.
Again THANK YOU

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:01 pm

Thanks Ron. It is especially tough with the improving weather (tomorrow morning is looking pretty good for flying :| ) and we're doing our best to interpret the rules for our members and the greater public.

Bunker down and we'll get through this in time for the best part of the flying season!

Brian

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:26 pm

In my case I feel it is an addiction support group. Many of us have the same addiction. I certainly get support, for my addiction, from other flyers. ;)
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun May 30, 2021 10:36 am

We would like to thank membership for support through the pause in flying due to high COVID numbers and provincial gathering restrictions. It hasn't been easy to look outside on a sunny calm morning and to not think about the fun times of flying, support, laughs and friendships at our fields. Case numbers are finally coming down in the province and - as we all know from the news - things are starting to open up again.

Currently, as it stands today, we understand that we are limited to groups of 5. That is a very small number and can be challenging to manage. We all want to follow the rules to protect ourselves, our families, and our neighbors and the difficult decision to pause flying was made.

The new phased approach, starting June 2, allows the gathering limit outdoors to be increased to 10. While still small in numbers, this is easier to manage. We'll need to be be watchful for gathering numbers but this should be possible to maintain in our outdoor venue.

Our "Return to Flying" plan will resume. There are really only a few common points through this review:
  • If you are feeling unwell, then please stay home
  • If you might have been exposed to someone with COVID (presumptively positive), then please stay home
  • Continue to follow relevant sections of the NS Health Advisories - in this case outdoors with distancing.
  • Continued traceability - record your presence in the unlikely event of an exposure by participants at our field.
I am attaching a PDF of the NS Government phased approach, as well as the latest "Return to Flying" requirements for your review.

We, like everyone else, are trying to interpret these requirements for the continued safety of our members and community. As always, if you have any comments or concerns, then please feel free to reach out to us at HalifaxElectricFlyers@outlook.com

Thanks!

Brian
Attachments
Reopening Safely - Infographic.pdf
(87.7 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
COVID Return to Flying_v7.pdf
(551.11 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun May 30, 2021 5:11 pm

It's good to see that things are loosening up a little but within the recent regulations, we have been permitted to fly with a maximum of 5 people. suitably distanced. In accordance with those rules, during May, I have flown three times at Lawrencetown with 2 to 5 people, suitably distanced and twice at Shannon with one to two non-flying observers -all within government regulations. This flying has been very therapeutic and without endangering anyone. A little properly planned flying will threaten nobody.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:30 pm

Any update on latest allowed numbers? I'm planning on going to the field tomorrow.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:48 pm

Hey Bruce! My understanding is that we are permitted 10 people to be gathered with distancing. So we are going to all need to be extra careful with the numbers.... and to support one another.

Is there a different number that I might not be aware of?

Brian

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:05 pm

I think you are correct, but I wanted to make sure.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.