Weekend - January 30/31, 2021

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
the-mailman

Weekend - January 30/31, 2021

Unread post by the-mailman » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:43 pm

Too windy for flying today so I went to Busy Bee tools this morning. Afterwards I swung by the field just to see if anyone was brave enough to go flying. No one was there, but I did find some things of interest.

Someone has rolled up two large snowballs and left them on the field. They used up a lot of snow and the trails they left may make it rough for floats. It looks like they were working on a snowman and the balls got too heavy. I tried to roll them off the field, but they were frozen down and wouldn't move. Probably too heavy for one person anyway.

Wind doesn't look too bad for tomorrow so I might drop by. I see what it looks like in the morning.

snowballs.jpg
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

bdg

Re: Weekend - January 30/31, 2021

Unread post by bdg » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:23 pm

Thanks for your post, Bruce. That is not great, is it? Hitting something like that on final would be a nightmare. Nothing that we can't eliminate with the right tools though! I am sure that whoever did this was just trying to have some fun and didn't think twice about possible ramifications for others... no ill intent.

Today was cold and windy. Tomorrow is not looking much better. Winds mid-teens with gusts to 30 or so. Wind chill -14°C. Likely unfavourable conditions for most. I probably won't try it..... But if you do - let us know about conditions! All too frequently conditions can be much better than predicted!

Brian

the-mailman

Re: Weekend - January 30/31, 2021

Unread post by the-mailman » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:28 am

Forgot to update that I did go flying on Sunday. Got a few flights in before the wind came up. Very challenging to land with those obstacles on the field though. Still couldn't move them, even with a spectator that offered to help. Hopefully they'll melt with the warm weather coming this week.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.