MAAC and Transport Canada - June 1, 2019 Updates

Model Aeronautics Association of Canada
bdg

MAAC and Transport Canada - June 1, 2019 Updates

Unread post by bdg » Sun May 19, 2019 3:19 pm

All MAAC members should have received this communication today related to the upcoming Transport Canada regulations. Bottom line - we are COVERED under the MAAC umbrella for flying at MAAC approved fields and MAAC sanctioned events, while following the MAAC safety rules.
NCR-011-2019
EXEMPTION FROM PART IX OF THE CANADIAN AVIATION REGULATIONS

Pursuant to subsection 5.9(2) of the Aeronautics Act, and after taking into account that the exemption is in the public interest and is not likely to adversely affect aviation safety or security, I hereby exempt Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC), Unit 9, 5100 South Service Road, Burlington, Ontario and their members in good standing from the requirements set out in Part IX of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) as amended from time to time, subject to the following conditions.

Part IX of the CARs governs the use of small remotely piloted aircraft systems (RPAS).

PURPOSE
  • The purpose of this exemption is to allow members of the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) to operate remotely piloted aircraft systems within Canadian airspace while abiding by all applicable MAAC safety guidelines as amended from time to time.
APPLICATION
  • This exemption applies to Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) and their members in good standing that operate remotely piloted aircraft systems weighing between 250 grams and 35 kilograms in accordance with MAAC’s safety guidelines as amended from time to time.
CONDITIONS

This exemption is subject to the following conditions:
  • MAAC shall review and, if required, update its rules, procedures, and safety guidelines annually to ensure they reflect the most current safety practices and information;
  • MAAC shall maintain a list of all active members, their respective membership numbers, postal codes, the approximate number of models they intend to have airworthy for the year in question, and, shall provide this information to the Minister on an annual basis;
  • Prior to sanctioning a field in Class C, D, E, F, or any other type of restricted airspace, MAAC shall obtain an authorization through a written agreement from the appropriate controlling agency or user agency for the area. The agreement shall include operational boundaries, maximum altitudes, and communication protocols to facilitate the safe operation of RPAS at the field;
  • Prior to sanctioning a field which is within 3NM of an aerodrome, outside of controlled airspace and listed in the Canadian Flight Supplement (CFS) or the Canadian Water Aerodrome Supplement (CWAS), MAAC shall establish procedures to ensure that RPAS do not conflict with or pose a hazard to other aircraft in the vicinity;
  • MAAC shall keep a list of incidents and accidents between MAAC operated RPAS and other aircraft or persons on the ground that are not members of the association to which this exemption applies. MAAC shall provide this list to the Minister upon request.
  • The member of MAAC shall not operate a RPAS unless the pilot or a visual observer has the aircraft in visual line-of-sight at all times during flight;
  • The member of MAAC operating a RPAS shall give way to power-driven heavier-than-air aircraft, airships, gliders and balloons at all times;
  • The member of MAAC operating a RPAS shall be in good standing with the association, namely have paid all dues and be following all MAAC rules;
  • The member of MAAC operating a RPAS shall adhere to the most current version of the applicable MAAC rules, procedures, and safety guidelines;
  • The member of MAAC shall not operate a RPAS unless the member has successfully demonstrated to a person delegated by MAAC in accordance with MAAC’s rules, procedures, and safety guidelines that the member has sufficient knowledge and experience to control the RPAS in a safe and competent manner unless in the case where the member is under the direct supervision of a qualified MAAC instructor;
  • The member of MAAC operating a RPAS shall mark their aircraft with their MAAC member number in a way that the owner can be identified;
  • The member of MAAC operating a RPAS in Class C, D, E, F, or any other type of restricted airspace shall take-off, launch, land, or recover from a field sanctioned by MAAC or, in the case where the field is not sanctioned by MAAC, the member of MAAC shall obtain, prior to entering the airspace, an authorization from the appropriate controlling agency or user agency;
  • The member of MAAC operating a RPAS in Class C, D, E, F, or in any type of restricted airspace shall adhere to all the conditions that are detailed in the agreement with the controlling agency or user agency for the area;
  • The member of MAAC operating a RPAS within 3NM of an aerodrome outside of controlled airspace and identified in the Canadian Flight Supplement (CFS) or the Canadian Water Aerodrome Supplement (CWAS) shall, take-off, launch, land, or recover from either
    • a field sanctioned by MAAC; or
    • a field which is not sanctioned by MAAC and establish procedures to ensure that RPAS do not conflict with or pose a hazard to other aircraft in the vicinity.
  • The member of MAAC shall not operate a RPAS in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person.
VALIDITY

This exemption is in effect from June 1, 2019 until the earliest of the following:
  • the date on which any condition set out in this exemption is breached; or
  • the date on which this exemption is cancelled in writing by the Minister where he is of the opinion that it is no longer in the public interest or is likely to adversely affect aviation safety or security.
DATED at Ottawa, Ontario, this day of May, 2019 on behalf of the Minister of Transport.
Nicholas Robinson
Director General, Civil Aviation
Last edited by bdg on Sun May 19, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdg

Re: MAAC and Transport Canada - June 1, 2019 Updates

Unread post by bdg » Sun May 19, 2019 3:31 pm

One of the requirements relates to having your name in the plane. Our forum will not allow me to upload a DOCX or RTF document. It seems that a PDF will work but that is more limiting.

So if you are interested, then please send me a quick email to HalifaxElectricFlyers@outlook.com and I will forward to you by email. Fill in your MAAC number and print / attach to your plane (battery compartment, etc.)
Attachments
MAAC Number Blank.JPG
MAAC Number Blank.pdf
(421.47 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Last edited by bdg on Sun May 19, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun May 19, 2019 3:39 pm

And finally - a few other relevant points from the email:

A few additional points of interest are:
  • As with the new regulations, the exemption uses the terms remotely piloted aircraft system (RPAS) and remotely pilot aircraft (RPA), as Transport Canada no longer differentiates between recreational (model aircraft) and non-recreational activities.
  • The exemption applies to the operation, by MAAC members, of RPA between 250 grams to 35kg. Operations of RPA below 250 would fall under the new CARs Part IX regulations and are basically required to not operate in a manner hazardous to aviation. RPA above 35kgs will require an SFOC, which is unchanged from the previous regulations.
  • This exemption has no expiration date. This means it remains in effect until:
    • The date on which any of the conditions in the exemption are breached. If this occurs, the exemption is no longer valid for the person who has breached the exemption conditions. It does not mean that the exemption becomes invalid for all members or the organization.
    • The exemption is cancelled by the Minister, in writing, should he believe that the exemption is no longer in the public interest or is likely to adversely affect aviation safety or security.
  • It is strongly recommended that all clubs and members have a copy of the CARs, Part IX exemption, either a paper or electronic copy, readily accessible whenever they are flying, should a member from Transport Canada or the local police authority question what authority they are operating under. Clubs may also wish to pre-emptively engage their local police authorities and make them aware of the exemption as they may not have received information or training on the exemption.
  • NAVCANADA has established a standardized set of processes for the coordination of operations in controlled airspace (Class C, D and E). These processes will be actioned through the local ATC facility. The NAVCANADA coordination package will be forwarded to all clubs and will be posted on the MAAC website.

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Sun May 19, 2019 7:43 pm

Looks good. From what I read or at least interpret as long as you're a member of MAAC in good standing you can fly where ever you want as long as you adhere to MAAC rules, give way to power-driven heavier-than-air aircraft, airships, gliders and balloons at all times and establish procedures to ensure that RPAS do not conflict with or pose a hazard to other aircraft in the vicinity when flying from a non MAAC field.

I've also created labels for my planes that are small and easy to apply by covering with a strip of packing tape. Just replace ______ with your MAAC number, print, cut out and adhere to your plane. You can do a search and replace to replace the 6 underscore lines with your MAAC # to make the changes easier.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10JChH ... f2lXZu4inn
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon May 20, 2019 8:07 am

Going through the new TC Regulations I was very pleasantly surprised at how realistic they are.
Under my reading of them, we are now allowed by TC to fly (following MAAC rules) as individuals on non MAAC sanctioned fields ( with owners permission).
In other words while we cruise around NS and spot a suitable field or slope we can fly with owners permission. This is something of a question which was never clarified previously. Only possible question is does MAAC insurance cover us? If it satisfies TC surely MAAC should be happy.

I was on RC Canada Forum and the following post by Marc Sharpe makes things clear. Marc Is an RCMP from up north who has pioneered Multicopter development and had much input in development of TC regulations.

..................................................................................................................................
Unread Today, 02:24 AM #15
Sharpy01
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Marc S

Re: MAAC Exemption Issued
Quote:
"Originally Posted by mgfiest View Post
Not sure if this ever came up...

what if you are a MAAC member and do not belong to a MAAC Club or any club?

I am sure there are MAAC members and the closes club could be 3 or more hours from their home.
Know the airspace designation above you."
.........................................................................................
If you are not in controlled/restricted airspace, or within 3 NM (5.5km) of a CFS listed aerodrome, and you have owners permission, and follow the MAAC safety code and applicable guidelines, you're good to go!

No club required.

....and the provisions for being allowed to operate in controlled airspace or within 3 NM of an aerodrome are the same for an individual as they are for a club.

No club required.
.........................................................................................................................................
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon May 20, 2019 9:29 am

A point of clarification to MAAC coverage was introduced at the MAAC AGM in Halifax some two years ago. At that time, there was discussion related to the coverage under the MAAC umbrella by flying through "park" rules. My understanding is that MAAC would only cover you in a few circumstances:
(1) MAAC approved field and flying under the MAAC safety guides and rules
(2) MAAC approved / sanctioned event and flying under the MAAC safety guides and rules

At that time, they were encouraging anyone group of MAAC members, three or more, to form a club under MAAC. Establish approvals, have a MAAC rep review the site, pay the nominal $25 (or so) annual fees for the club, etc.

Bottom line - to me and from what I have reviewed to date - we remain covered at SP / PL / LT but anywhere else we are on our own. Wouldn't we then need either the basic or advanced TC training? Definitely some more reading required on my side - starting at the final TC rules.

Brian

waxman

Unread post by waxman » Mon May 20, 2019 9:55 am

Correct Brian. If you want to fly at any location other than a MAAC sanctioned location you must have the Basic or Advanced license. You would choose which license depending on where you preferred to fly. If you want to fly in controlled airspace you're going to need an Advanced license. Then there's always the matter of insurance.

John
bdg wrote:A point of clarification to MAAC coverage was introduced at the MAAC AGM in Halifax some two years ago. At that time, there was discussion related to the coverage under the MAAC umbrella by flying through "park" rules. My understanding is that MAAC would only cover you in a few circumstances:
(2) MAAC approved / sanctioned event and flying under the MAAC safety guides and rules

At that time, they were encouraging anyone group of MAAC members, three or more, to form a club under MAAC. Establish approvals, have a MAAC rep review the site, pay the nominal $25 (or so) annual fees for the club, etc.

Bottom line - to me and from what I have reviewed to date - we remain covered at SP / PL / LT but anywhere else we are on our own. Wouldn't we then need either the basic or advanced TC training? Definitely some more reading required on my side - starting at the final TC rules.

Brian
John Liddard

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon May 20, 2019 10:13 am

There is some serious Misunderstanding here.
On one hand TC is willing to allow us to fly outside MAAC sanctioned fields with owners permission. This is confirmed by MAAC representative Marc Sharp's Post on RC Canada Forum.
Then according to MAAC regulations this is not acceptable.
Utter confusion as usual.
It looks like TC is prepared to cut us more slack than MAAC.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon May 20, 2019 10:21 am

bdg wrote:A point of clarification to MAAC coverage was introduced at the MAAC AGM in Halifax some two years ago. At that time, there was discussion related to the coverage under the MAAC umbrella by flying through "park" rules. My understanding is that MAAC would only cover you in a few circumstances:

Brian
Not so - we are covered by insurance on ANY MAAC registered field.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon May 20, 2019 10:26 am

Agreed John... any MAAC field or sanctioned event. My focus on this statement was HEFA-specific.

There is a world outside of HEFA :-)