Hi all!

New to Halifax Electric Flyers? Let us know a little about you.
pmadrid

Hi all!

Unread post by pmadrid » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Hi everyone!
My name is Pedro and I'm interested in getting back to flying. I used to fly gliders and small electric planes (among other things) and would like to get back to it!
Is there a good place in HRM or nearby to fly gliders? (or gliders with motor)?
Also, would it be ok if I go to a soccer field and fly my plane there? (given no soccer matches are on of course).
Thanks all and happy to be here! :D :D :D

JohnOSullivan

Re: Hi all!

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:32 pm

Hi Pedro:
If you are in the Halifax area, you will find that the most welcoming club for electric Flying is HEFA. We only have a small group of Sailplane fliers but they make up the majority of sailplane fliers in Nova Scotia. HEFA is a club that welcomes models of all classes and of course include Sailplanes either pure or electric. You have come to the right place.
Recent Transport Canada regulations have paced onerous restrictions on where model aircraft can be flown. The upside of this is that Transport Canada has granted exemption from these draconian rules to members of our national model aviation group, the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada, which HEFA is affiliated with. By joining HEFA and MAAC you will be permitted to fly (with owners permission) on any site as long as it is in uncontrolled airspace. These restricted areas are shown in https://airmarket.io/flysafe_rec_map/ . To fly within these areas permission has to be obtained from the agency controlling these areas.

At our Shannon Park and Lawrencetown flying fields we are exempt from Transport Canada regulations.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26