Newbie Flyer needing assitance and wishing to join the club.

New to Halifax Electric Flyers? Let us know a little about you.
HighFlyer

Newbie Flyer needing assitance and wishing to join the club.

Unread post by HighFlyer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi there guys,

My name is Jamie from Fall RIver. For many years I've wanted to get into flying ever since I had a control line plane as a young boy. I recently purchased a Dynam DHC-2 Beaver. This will be my first plane. I would love to be able to have some time on a trainer prior to the maiden flight. :) Also I would be very interested to become a club member if you're accepting any new members.

Kind Regards,

Jamie
Last edited by HighFlyer on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie

MAAC # 97835

bdg

Re: Newbie Flyer needing assitance and wishing to join the club.

Unread post by bdg » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:09 pm

You've come to the right place, Jamie! We will be happy to help you out.

What type of transmitter and receiver is in your plane?

There are a few steps that I would highly recommend:
  • Come by the club and meet our members. There will be a lot of enthusiasm - so be forewarned!
  • We will plan to get you up on our club trainer for a few flights. You will be buddy boxed with a trainer who will give control / take control as required to give you a great feel for the plane and how to control it.
  • Join MAAC and HEFA. It is the best bang for your entertainment buck out there!! MAAC is roughly $92 with HST; HEFA is $50 total. This will set you up with the required insurance and will support our lease and maintenance at our field.
  • We will continue to train you on the club trainer and - if you are interested and have compatible equipment - we can get you up on your plane.
  • Get ready for a solo and then - once you have your wings - you will be on your own.... still with lots to learn but with a supportive group to help you every step of the way!
It is a great hobby for sure! A good simulator - namely RealFlight - will help you immensely through this learning phase. This software can be purchased through Mighty Small Cars in Dartmouth (if you don’t have such software).

Members are typically at the field as long as it is not raining and winds are reasonable. Typically Saturday and Sunday mornings 9-11 are peaks, although lots of people fly outside of these "core" hours.

Brian

HighFlyer

Unread post by HighFlyer » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:27 pm

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your very pleasant welcome :)

The plane has a GAVIN-6A 6-Channel 2.4GHz Transmitter and a Detrum MSR66A 6-Channel 2.4Ghz Mini Receiver with iStone 6-Axis Gyro/ABS. Hopefully the buddy box will work on my set up. I assume I should be assembling the plane initially with wheels, rather than the floats?

I will follow all of the steps you have mentioned Brian and take all the guidance / advice I can get! :) I am currently in the arctic working at a gold mine but I will be home next Friday and touch base then.
In the meantime I have been doing some reading in the evenings. I will look into how to get this MAAC membership also.

One of my biggest goals is those early morning slow and low flights over the water with the LED's and flaps. Cant wait :)

Look forward to meeting you all soon.

All the best,

Jamie
Jamie

MAAC # 97835

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:46 pm

Hey Jamie!

Just a few points:
(1) MAAC is the national organization that establishes the safety rules that govern our club. In addition, MAAC coordinates with Transport Canada (you will note that there are many new rules coming through for all flying craft - including planes - that are 250g and above). There is also an exception on the TC website for any MAAC approved fields and events. Additionally, MAAC provides us with the insurance necessary for leasing our field. One you have MAAC and your wings - you will be able to participate in fun flies at other clubs too. It is the foundation on-which all local clubs are based.
(2) It does not sound like we will be able to buddy box with your Beaver. I am not familiar with the transmitter/receiver combination that you have mentioned. By far the majority of people use Spektrum products; other brands (e.g. Futuba) are out there but not as popular (in my opinion). We will be able to get you up on our trainer as a start and then we can go from there.
(3) I really like lake flying... I like the picture that you are painting! Such flying would not be covered by MAAC unless the event was sactioned by MAAC or if the “field” was registered as a MAAC field.

Snow and rain today; possibly snow on Monday. Hopefully better weather next weekend!

Brian

MarkL

Unread post by MarkL » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:13 pm

Be aware of the new regulations coming for June 1 - https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... gally.html

If you are in Fall River area you may be SOL for most model aircraft as much of it falls into Class D airspace of Halifax airport. This would require an assured aircraft and having an advanced license.
2019-04-08_15-10-09.png

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:44 pm

Hey Mark!

What website is this? I know of this: http://www3.telus.net/cschwab/viewer/ca ... space.html and this: https://nrc.canada.ca/en/uav-site-selection/.

I don’t think that there are any fields in the area you have cited - certainly it should not impact HEFA... right? Also - and most importantly - is that I am understanding that MAAC rules prevail and that these supersede the TC regulations - when flying under MAAC rules at a MAAC sanctioned event or MAAC field..... right?

Thanks again!

Brian
Last edited by bdg on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 pm

The only field in that area is the Halifax Radio Control Club's field in Beaverbank and it is outside that circle and a MAAC field anyway.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

HighFlyer

Unread post by HighFlyer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:08 am

Ya no worries there Mark! Really don’t have any interest in flying in the Fall River area. Grand lake normally has quite a chop on. A lot of boating activity with large wakes, swimmers. Even if it was permitted it wouldn’t be a safe area to be flying. Soldier lake for example is right on the approach corridor. Most of the other lakes are also heavily residential.

Now Cobequid pass on the other hand is almost desolate. A few very quiet, well protected lakes up there with almost no activity. The early mornings are usually quite calm and I’ve seen the lakes like glass more times than I can count.

After researching and now seeing a more complete view of this hobby, I suspect I’ll take my time assembling that Beaver. She’s a big girl and she won’t hit the water until I’m ready, my trainer feels I’m ready and I’ve completed my checkflight. I’ve seen the crash pics :o and I’d like to have some successful flights with that plane.

As Brian said, I’ve painted the picture in my mind... glassy lake, early morning, Low and Slow. Cant wait but I can... :)

Jamie
Jamie

MAAC # 97835

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:43 am

Jamie,
This weekend is the Shearwater Hobby Show at the SeaKing club at Shearwater.
HEFA and the SHEARWATER RC FLYERS will be on hand with a display of aircraft and people to answer questions.
It is Sat and Sun 10 to 4.
Check here for details viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5262&p=25495&hilit ... ter#p25495

Drop in and meet the guys if you are home by then.

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

MarkL

Unread post by MarkL » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:06 am

I was referring to the Fall River area not the HEFA field. As to the MAAC exemption from the new regs that is yet to be known as TC have not released them yet so time will tell I guess. Nothing super cedes TC, it more to do with what TC may exempt MAAC clubs from.

The screen grab is from https://airmarket.io/flysafe_rec_map/
It is free for recreational use and a decent resource.