Time to learn everything about Electric RC Aircraft

New to Halifax Electric Flyers? Let us know a little about you.
Dennis

Time to learn everything about Electric RC Aircraft

Unread post by Dennis » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:46 pm

I am a retired physicist and am interested in all aspects of electric RC aircraft. Many years ago I dropped by Shannon Park to watch the model planes, now it's time to fly them. I recently bought a DX6 Spektrum transmitter and haven't even turned it on yet. Definitely want to learn to use it and get recommendations for a starter aircraft. Dennis
Physicist, musician, field naturalist.
MAAC #92617

retiredVTT

Re: Time to learn everything about Electric RC Aircraft

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi Dennis

Welcome to the fold. You have come to the right place to begin your learning curve in the wonderful world of Electric RC flying. The popular RC aircraft to not only begin the learning process but also a plane that will stay with you as you progress is the Eflite Apprentice. Our Club has one of these planes and it has trained close to two dozen flyers in the past two years. We connect the Instructor and Student together so that the Instructor can take full control the moment the student gets into trouble. You are welcome to make use of this trainer. Just let us know when you can make it to the field and we will try to have an Instructor for you. Weather permitting, we fly every Saturday and Sunday morning from 8am onward.

cheers.
Bill F.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Fantastic! I'll monitor the weather as always!
MAAC #92617

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:03 pm

Drove to Charlottetown today and bought a BNF Apprentice S 15e. Lots of nice features. Will assemble tomorrow!
MAAC #92617

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:34 pm

Dennis,

This is a great plane and offers almost guaranteed success for beginning and carries with you as skills improve. This will interface nicely with the DX6. There are a few important steps that you should consider with your combination, and we can certainly help out as necessary. The list might seem long but you seem really keen and therefore I thought that I would provide some suggestions:
(1) Configure the Apprentice as a new model in the DX6 and be sure to set up the configuration exactly per the Apprentice user manual. I believe that Aux1 needs to be reversed, etc. This will also help you with getting familiar with the radio.
(2) Try a range check at a pace of roughly 100 feet per the Apprentice manual, after binding to the DX6.
(3) Configure a throttle cut. This is often best on switch H for consistency with any potential future heli programming. Towards you is off, away is armed.
(4) Configure a timer, based on throttle out greater than, say, 25%. Set to 13 minutes.
(5) Consider adding some expo for the ailerons and elevator. Start at roughly 30%.

"Playing" with these basic features will allow you to get familiar with your new radio. This list is not meant to sound like too much and is straight forward once you get used to it.

We will plan to get you up on the club Apprentice to start. It is the best overall solution to maximize the experience and to minimize the need for repairs. It is best to post or to PM me if you are planning to be at the field for training..... While I normally bring the trainer, sometimes space is a little too precious for my other "toys" if it is not needed.

There are a few additional important points for consideration:
(1) Review membership with MAAC. This is the main organization for us and provides insurance and an interface with regulators. MAAC membership is required for any of the local clubs.
(2) Consider membership with our club. It is the best bang for your buck around!
(3) Drop by and get a feel for the club and our offerings. Our membership is very supportive and willing to help out.
(4) Once training is complete, then you will be able to solo and really enjoy that Apprentice and future models. Buddy boxing is required until you are able to take off, fly, land, etc.
(5) A simulator will help immensely with your training and familiarization. I have Phoenix and it will allow you to practice with your Apprentice model. RealFlight is also very good.

Note that we also have local hobby shops in the vicinity. Here is Metro, we have Mighty Small Cars on Windmill Road in Dartmouth. This is a very regular spot for our club due to proximity, great service, immense selection and competitive prices. Maritime Hobbies is in Halifax. RC Wings is in Bridgewater.

See you at the field and we can discuss further!

All the best,

Brian

Dennis

Unread post by Dennis » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:08 am

Thank you for taking the time to write this helpful advice Brian. My first visit to see the planes fly will be just to talk and watch - mostly the latter! The Apprentice is bigger than I imagined. Just managed to get it in my 2-door Jeep along with my Husky, beagle and daughter's border collie who were all at doggie daycare while I was in PEI. Also bought a nice Spektrum case for my transmitter with lots of room for other items. Yep, I'm quite serious, and excited.
MAAC #92617