Would like to learn to fly

New to Halifax Electric Flyers? Let us know a little about you.
the-mailman

Would like to learn to fly

Unread post by the-mailman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:24 am

Hi, when I was a teenager I learned to fly with the Apple Valley Flyers but haven't flown for over 35 years. I thought about flying again so I bought a Cessna trainer a few years ago but never got around to learning to fly. Now my son is interested so it's really time to do it.

What is the procedure to start the learning process and take advantage of the clubs free learning sessions? I'd like both of us to try it before we invest too much in case my son doesn't like it.

Thanks,
Bruce
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

rhyneheimer

Re: Would like to learn to fly

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:03 pm

"the-mailman" - there's some great and enthusiastic instructors here at HEFA and regular flyers, you should hear from them soon - have fun! if you ever make it out slope soaring at lawrencetown let me know, that's my territory lol
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:13 pm

Hi Bruce,

First step is to come out Saturday or Sunday, around 8;30am when the winds are low and have an instructor with our buddy-boxed trainer show you what it's all about.

We have introduced about a dozen new flyers to the wonderful world of "electric" rc flying this year. We now have 55 members in our little park flyer club and the camaraderie is great. Look forward to getting you air-borne.

cheers,
Bill
2015 HEFA President
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:32 pm

Bruce,

I think that Bill has expressed things very well but I will add a few comments.

First of all, I would recommend a quick read through the forum items related to "New Pilot Training". The intent is not to burden you with lots of reading but the points raised there should help to reinforce the great attributes of the club and of our training program. I would start here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3914. That said, you can always raise a query here and we'll do our best to reply.

A few questions for you:
(1) How old is your son?
(2) Does he have any experience with the computer simulators? These can certainly help with the learning curve although kids can often pick up the basics fairly quickly. Perhaps the most popular "higher-end" simulators are Phoenix and RealFlight. These are available locally at Mighty Small Cars (Dartmouth) for Phoenix and Maritime Hobbies (Halifax) for RealFlight. They are not perfect but are great for "stick time" and for building the muscle memory needed to respond quickly to any issues encountered. I purchased and use Phoenix and it is great.
(3) What are the characteristics of your Cessna? We are an electric-only club with a weight limit of 6 lbs.

We can certainly get you (and your son!) up for a few introductory flights. But as Bill suggests, come to the field and meet with the members. We certainly learn a lot from flying but can learn almost as much (and perhaps sometimes more!) by drawing from the extensive skills of the membership in the "pits"... from those newest to the club to those who have been in the club since it's start (and who were flying long before that!). We are all very enthusiastic towards the hobby. The group is fantastic and supportive... and I don't think that you will find a better bunch of peeps anywhere.

See you at the field!

Brian

oldmanweeks

Unread post by oldmanweeks » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:26 pm

a few years ago I joined HEFA but then things happened and I never got to try and fly. I flew models at Kelowna ogopogo club but left there in 2002 and never flew again. I have a new foamy I am preparing . it is an electric yak 54 that I purchased in 2009 but never got it going. just purchased a new futaba 6 channel 2.4 ghz and am in the process. I will be out sat morning about 9 am to see what is going on and introduce yself. need help with electric hookups etc.

ross

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi Ross,
Good to hear from you on this snowy afternoon. Should be some hardy flyers at the field Saturday unless this snow does not stop.

We are here to help, so you have come to the right place. With the cooperation of the weather we will get you airborne..!

for now, welcome aboard..!

Bill F.
HEFA President
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708