Hello Everyone!

New to Halifax Electric Flyers? Let us know a little about you.
SecretBuilder

Hello Everyone!

Unread post by SecretBuilder » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:03 am

My name is Aiden and I am in grade 9. About a year ago I bought a HobbyZone Champ about a year ago and flew it for quite a while at my local park and even bought extra batteries. The one problem with it is that you can only fly it in extremely light winds. It is because of this that I decided to buy a Flite Test Power Pack A (https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test- ... 57/p983483) and instal it on my Tiny Trainer. After this I went over to Shannon Park to learn more about the hobby and after this visit I became a member of both HEFA and MAAC. I like to build a lot of foam airplanes with dollar store foam board because if I crash it is easy to repair and also easy to paint. I fly with a FS-I6X as my transmitter and a 6 channel receiver. I would be interested to hear what you have to say.
Aiden | Pilot Name: AlbatrossFPV | MAAC#: 97485 | HEFA#: ?
Radio: Radiomaster TX16S | Goggles: FatShark Attitude V6
YouTube: AlbatrossFPV

JohnOSullivan

Re: Hello Everyone!

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:15 pm

Hi Aiden:
Welcome to HEFA
You will find the HEFA group to be some of the finest people to fly with. Lots of help in coaching you to become a top level flier.
It looks like you have started with a decent radio and model choice and we look forward to seeing you progress. It will teach you the skills of model building, aerodynamics and engineering that will last you a lifetime.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

yorcram

Unread post by yorcram » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:36 pm

Having a power pack as a standard is a great idea. I used to build/fly planes that could all use the same battery, motor, and servos. I still try to keep things standard.
Dollarstore foamboard and pink foam insulation for 'block carving' will allow you to design/build pretty much whatever you like.
Should look up Aerofred and also outerzone for free plans.
Plane Crazey :D

MGC

Unread post by MGC » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:03 pm

Welcome to the greatest hobby ever! This is a really exciting time to get involved. Soooo many resources available at our fingertips and the technology available in the RC Aeronautics world is pretty amazing! I absolutely love building foamboard planes, and would HIGHLY recommend the flight test simple cub. Its a pretty easy build, and the flight characteristics of the plane are spectacular! Out of all my foamies, its on the top of the list. Plus I've crashed it 3 times now, and you would never know it. So rugged. Search on our forum for simple cub and my build will come up with some build tips for you if you decide to build one, and feel free to ask lots of questions to the guys here! I've learned a pile from this fantastic group of rc pilots here at HEFA :D

Mark

SecretBuilder

Unread post by SecretBuilder » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:00 pm

Hello,
Thank you for all the suggestions and ideas! I do quite like the idea of standardizing everything that way you do not have to buy a lot of different sizes of batteries or anything else. I also have built quite a few foam board planes like the FT Tiny Trainer, the FT Bushwacker, the FT Mini Guinea (this is in my profile photo), the FT Mini Speedster and a few more and I have also found foam board to be extremely durable. Although I do not currently have enough servos or electronics to fly all of them, I do have a few ready to fly and a couple more close to being ready. I am considering making my own design of plane sometime soon for something to do and I might just try block carving for engine nacelles or the nose.
Aiden | Pilot Name: AlbatrossFPV | MAAC#: 97485 | HEFA#: ?
Radio: Radiomaster TX16S | Goggles: FatShark Attitude V6
YouTube: AlbatrossFPV