What would You Do?

News related to anything RC
saboo

What would You Do?

Unread post by saboo » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:27 pm

Good day.

Last week I was in Cape Breton. I observed from a public wharf, a drone flying over a nearby Yacht Club.

I tracked down the person flying. I asked how heavy the DJI was and was told over 900 grams. I asked, because the pilot was flying over people sitting at tables in front of the Yacht Club and near dozens of guests at an outdoor patio of an adjacent restaurant. I mentioned that a drone of that weight would require a TC certificate. The reply was yes I have my Basic Certificate. I have been trying to get some shots of the small sailboats all together was the elaboration of his reason. I mentioned I fly fixed wing aircraft. The pilot also said that an advanced certifcate was being considered.

As I left I was very annoyed but did not express those thoughts. The pilot acknowledges knowing the rules, has a TC Basic and yet persisted in breaking the rules.

The next time I see that person or any other, I am not going to approach them or say anything. Instead, I am going to the local RCMP detachment and will insist that the pilot get a ticket. On my next trip to that community, I am going to deliver a printed and bound copy of the CARS Part IX to the local detachment. Accompanying the CARS, I will be advising that I am going to be returning for an officer if I see such behavior in the future. At such time, I am going to insist on the pilot receiving a citation (ticket). I will also advise the RCMP that I would follow up to see the disposition of the case.

Has anyone else observed such obvious and blatant violation of the rules? What would you do?

Regards

Jim H
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

Lexflyer2022

Re: What would You Do?

Unread post by Lexflyer2022 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:05 pm

Hi Jim, the fact of the matter is that no matter how hard you try, you cannot fix stupid.

So, lighten up on yourself and hope Karma becomes his Bitch. 8-)