Happy New Year

News related to anything RC
saboo

Happy New Year

Unread post by saboo » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:41 pm

Happy New Year

It is a sad start to the New Year. Usually besides indoor, New Years Day has been spent at Shannon Park with lots of people and a barbeque. Remember Steve W standing with the barbeque blazing?

According to MAAC the Shearwater gym is not on their list of sanctioned sites. The ONLY MAAC sanctioned flying site for the Shearwater club is listed as the decommissioned runway. Now we have experienced MAAC's paperwork expertise, possibly the MAAC site is not correct. From that I have to think that MAAC renewal is not required for the various indoor sites available to us as flyers

I feel it would be premature for anyone to renew their MAAC unless and until flying outdoors is resumed. It appears that MAAC is not a requirement for most indoor sites as they are not sanctioned sites. If outdoor is not resumed, a lot of my planes will be on the market.

Prices for used engines, planes, and electronics are tanking. For now I am going to focus on my under 250g planes, Control Line, and passing the Transport Canada exam.

Lets hope that the start of this New Year is just an anomoly and things will turn around in the next month or so.

Regards to all.

Jim H
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

JohnOSullivan

Re: Happy New Year

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:18 pm

MAAC Insurance as far as I understand, covers us at non sanctioned flying fields (outside restricted zones) as long as we obey MAAC regulations and have owners permission. Field owners may or may not insist on having insurance coverage.
Shearwater gym, as a non MAAC sanctioned site falls within the above category. They do however insist that we carry insurance, thus we require MAAC (or other) insurance coverage. See below quote from the Shearwater Forum:

"Bombs away" Kevin Avatar

yesterday at 1:59pm QuotelikePost OptionsPost by "Bombs away" Kevin on yesterday at 1:59pm
Everyone Happy New Year and remember we now are switching to SUNDAYS for indoor flying for the remainder of the winter. SAME Timings 0900-1200.

Be aware we will be checking that your MAAC membership is paid up for 2023 or beyond. paper card/downloaded and printed receipt or electronic download are all acceptable.

Again HAPPY New Year!

Kevin
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

KevinM

Unread post by KevinM » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:38 pm

John,

You are absolutely correct John, after seeing this post our NEW president emailed off to our Zone Director for clarification. The reply was just that ...private flying fields or MAAC sanctioned fields, if the member is a MAAC Member must follow all MAAC rules and the executive of any non-sanctioned MAAC club/field has the right to insist on insurance coverage. Currently there is no requirement for indoor flying sites to be registered with MAAC and at the moment there is only one single club in Atlantic Canada with an indoor site registered with MAAC. Since SRCF doesn't own the military gym we must protect the club and the gym / personnel against liability from any flying activity.

Everyone can come on out and fly indoors at the Shearwater gym. No charge just come and fly, with proof of insurance. we now start flying on Sunday mornings beginning 8 Jan (0900-1200)

Kevin McKay
Secretary/Treasurer
SRCF
The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and MISS

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:43 pm

I’ve got a UMX Turbo Timber on the way; anyone have any thought as to its appropriateness for indoor flying? :lol:

KevinM

Unread post by KevinM » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:18 pm

It might be a little too fast for Shearwater gym, but absolutely perfect for the Kentville indoor on Wednesdays.

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:18 am

KevinM wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:18 pm
It might be a little too fast for Shearwater gym, but absolutely perfect for the Kentville indoor on Wednesdays.
That's too bad! Maybe with lots of flaps it can fly slow enough?
Kentville is many furlongs away from me down in Peggy's Cove. Even Shearwater is quite a commitment!

KevinM

Unread post by KevinM » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:36 pm

with flaps you just might be able to navigate around the baseball nets in the Shearwater gym. They are retracted but still hang down enough they capture a plane from time to time.