Shipping Costs

News related to anything RC
JohnOSullivan

Shipping Costs

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:31 am

With winter conditions, I go through a fair number of plastic wing bolts snapping in the cold.
I need a supply of 6-32 x1.5" nylon bolts and have phoned over a dozen fastener suppliers in HRM and nobody stocks them.

I contacted a source in the US and they quoted me a price of $15 US for 100 pieces - a very good price indeed. Then came the kicker -- Shipping by USPS was $38.50. This whole Shipping grab is killing the hobby.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

JohnOSullivan

Re: Shipping Costs

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:23 pm

Well, things have worked out well. I had a call from Walter Hacker who had contacted Fastenall in Truro and they were prepared to special order the bolts and will deliver them to the Dartmouth Fastenall office for pickup. There is a basic shipping charge of $15 Can because they are not a normally stocked item. That suits me fine.

In the meantime I had a reply from the US company

" Hi John,
I think we can send these out using stamps, It would cost about $3 but would not be trackable.
Would that work for you? We want to make sure you get your product 😊
Please let me know!"

It's nice to see that there are companies who will go out of their way to cater for the little guy with small orders.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

Scooterboy

Unread post by Scooterboy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:26 pm

John;
As Canadians we are getting hosed on shipping by now. However; I think it's getting worse.
It seems it doesn't end at shipping.....If you find a needed item on Amazon.com and they don't ship to Canada. So you look at Amazon.ca, same distributor, same location except the price is double and the shipping is stupid expensive.
I was looking for a set of plans for my Guillows triplane that I bought at Value Village (it was complete but without plans). I found the plans and building instructions on the Guillows website for like $ 10.00 US. I thought OK that's a deal. The shipping was $ 18.00 US! Like $ 500.00 Canadian! Needless to say, I'm still looking for plans.
Hosery I say! Hosery!
Kevin Baker

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:41 pm

McMaster-Carr is a local supplier that carries a lot of plastic, metal, and specialty stock, including fasteners, bars, rods, phenolics etc.
I am not sure if they deal with individuals as opposed to businesses, but they may be worth a call.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:07 pm

Glad it worked out for you John, can you let us know the name of this US Company?
Maybe we can send them more business.

thanks,
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:41 pm

Because I have bitched in the past about increased world shipping prices, or the fact that "f-r-e-e shipping" often only applies to US modelers, I must give credit to those that do ship free to us and do it quickly.

I needed two servos with more torque than my on-hand stock, so decided to order three to get over the required $100 threshold at Great Hobbies. I placed the order late on the 15th and it arrives on the 17th. Only additional charge was the $3.52 "insurance" that they added. That's Cool..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

trevor

Unread post by trevor » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:38 am

This is who I love Amazon. Use prime and shipping is always free and you get it in 2 days
what do you mean low rates and expo???

KevinM

Unread post by KevinM » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:44 pm

Hey Trevor, What Amazon do you use. I never get items in two days...Three minimum and sometimes weeks. Yes free shipping but there two day shipping ad doesn't apply to me.
The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and MISS

trevor

Unread post by trevor » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:54 am

Amazon Prime is the only way to go my friend
what do you mean low rates and expo???

KevinM

Unread post by KevinM » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:44 pm

I am an Amazon Prime member and never get anything in two days. I'm now waiting for tomorrow to submit a claim for refund for an item that supposedly shipped last Thursday and never arrived. Their shipping record with me is only 75%, most items arrive late or never. in a year i've had to claim a refund five times.
The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and MISS