PhoenixRC R/C Flight Simulator

News related to anything RC
RocketManRC

PhoenixRC R/C Flight Simulator

Unread post by RocketManRC » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:19 pm

I think it has been mentioned before but I will repeat that the company that developed and sold PhoenixRC went out of business some time ago but the files have been made freely available here including all updates and user contributed models:

https://www.rc-thoughts.com/phoenix-sim/

To run this however you need to have a usb interface. I have the original one that came with the software and also one from HobbyKing which I used to make a wireless link but it does not appear to be available anymore.

I found one on Banggood however which is available:

https://www.banggood.com/22-in-1-RC-Fli ... rehouse=CN

It wasn't totally clear from the description if it worked with Spektrum radios so I bought one to find out and I can confirm that it works perfectly. It is just over $20 including shipping and took about 3 weeks to get here.

It has been quite a while since I used PhoenixRC and I'd forgotten how well it works. It is certainly good enough to keep your skills up in these no flying times.

Cheers everyone!
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

bdg

Re: PhoenixRC R/C Flight Simulator

Unread post by bdg » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:46 pm

This is great Rick! Thanks especially for sharing the files. I have an older v3 disc and have the updates installed on my laptop (although arugably it hasn't been used since the Shearwater Hobby Show last year at this time) and wondered how I might be able to eventually transfer to another PC.

The software was always great and I learned a lot from it. The multiuser was also pretty good.

Maybe I will have to get my software fired up...! Thanks for the reminder and for sharing!

Brian

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:18 pm

Fun! And I was able to upgrade to v6 from my previous v5.5. Works with W10.

Online does not work as the software is trying to connect to the Phoenix master servers :x

A Visionaire flys again!
pheonix1.jpg

wildblue30

Unread post by wildblue30 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:19 pm

Thanks for this, Rick. I just updated my PhoenixRC to version 6.0.i. I have the Banggood 22 in 1 cable permanently attached to my computer. I bought it to use with my OrangeRX Tx6i transmitter. It's a great value as it comes with three simulator packages. I'm not sure of the authenticity of the software licences, but a great deal nonetheless.

Jeff
MAAC 85077
Tarot 450 Pro V2, H-King Voltigeur, E-Flite Ultimate 2, BAe Hawk EDF, H-King Wargo MX2, E-Flite Timber X, E-Flite UMX Timber X, E-Flite UMX A-10, Eachine E160, Eachine E180, YX F180 V2, MJX Bugs 3
Transmitter: RadioMaster TX16S

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:44 pm

I'm glad to hear that you have had success with that USB adapter too Jeff. There is aways a risk in recommending something like that if you are the only one who has one!

I never even noticed that there was software that came with it. I will have to check it out :-)
Rick MacDonald

Ivan

Unread post by Ivan » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:06 am

wish we could host a server for online

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:09 am

The link that Rick included actually does have options for an online community event. They use OpenVPN and link to their own virtual network (looks like in Germany). I've installed the software and configured but unfortunately have not been successful.... yet.

Ready for a little laser combat, eh?

Brian

MGC

Unread post by MGC » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:26 pm

Hey guys,

This is great, thanks for the info! looking forward to trying this sim once my usb dongle arrives.

On a side note, I use Realflight 8, but I wasn't to keen on purchasing the overpriced flight sim controller they sell to go with it. To make use of a regular transmitter on this sim, I use a program called SmartPropoPlus, which can be downloaded from here( and its free!!). http://smartpropoplus.sourceforge.net/site/ set up instructions are on the site under the "set-up" menu.

All you need is a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable attached to your computer's microphone jack and your transmitter. It reads the controllers trainer port output signals (which are audio frequencies) and translates them to Vjoy commands, which a lot of flight sims use. sorry for the tech talk. Some of you may know I work in IT, so yes, I'm a computer geek! lol.

I'm sure most of you already know about this program, but just in case, though i would mention it. :D

Have fun out there in the cyber skys!

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:26 pm

I am pretty sure that the USB interface for PhoenixRC also acts as a copy protection dongle so I don't think an audio type interface is going to be successful. But I would love to be proven wrong about that!
Rick MacDonald

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:45 pm

I would be really interested to know how many people have PhoenixRC already working or are planning to do so.

John L and I are working (remotely of course) on the possibility of creating a local server to support "multiplayer" flying. No promises but I'm guessing we would be even more motivated to overcome the technical challenge to do this if there is a lot of interest :-)

Please post here or send me a PM.
Rick MacDonald