Lucky me, or maybe not

News related to anything RC
the-mailman

Lucky me, or maybe not

Unread post by the-mailman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:20 pm

Last fall I bought a used Hubsan 501s quadcopter. It works really good and has lots of cool features, but I couldn't get much range before the return to home would kick in. Well, last week I fortunately broke the hinge joint on the 2.4 GHz antenna. I know how that sounds so I'll explain why it was good. When I unscrewed the antenna from the transmitter I discovered that the antenna had a RP-SMA male connector and the connector on the transmitter was a SMA female. So, neither part had the pin to make a physical connection between the two. No wonder I had such limited range. The antenna was doing little to nothing.

Now, you'd think this would be an easy fix. Just buy a new antenna with a SMA male connector. Since the antenna modification is an after market add-on I can't get one from Hubsan. MSC had nothing, Jentronics couldn't even order one, and none of the WiFI routers I have had the right connection either. So for a temporary fix, I took one of my WIFI router antennas and used some steel craft wire to create the pin to connect the antenna to the transmitter. The pin was a tight fit so I hope it will be a good connection. It's too small to solder anyway. I can't try a long range flight until I go to the field, but hopefully it will work while I search for the correct replacement.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

waxman

Re: Lucky me, or maybe not

Unread post by waxman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:05 am

You can find lots of SMA and RP-SMA connectors and adapters at Banggood.

https://www.banggood.com/search/sma-connectors.html
John Liddard

the-mailman

Re: Lucky me, or maybe not

Unread post by the-mailman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:23 pm

Thanks, an adapter would do the trick. I'll have a look.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.