FPV Regulations

FPV racing is one of the hottest things in the R/C world right now (2015). Let's talk about it here!
SecretBuilder

FPV Regulations

Unread post by SecretBuilder » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:33 pm

Hi All,
For a while I have wanted to buy something that could be flown with very little space (inside a house or in a backyard) for those times when it is too windy to fly conventional models and I chanced upon this: https://www.rotorquest.com/categories-2 ... eor-65-new If I bought it the most likely scenario would be: I would fly line of sight and then upgrade to FPV when I felt I was ready and when I had enough money (FPV systems are very expensive :( ).

I say all this because I was wondering if there are any rules or regulations concerning FPV on a sub (<) 250g micro quad or heaver than (>) 250g plane. (wondering about the plane because you could buy another camera for the same FPV goggles and have them used for 2 different things)
Attachments
Photo of the BetaFPV Meteor 65 Tiny Whoop (not my photo)
Photo of the BetaFPV Meteor 65 Tiny Whoop (not my photo)
Aiden | Pilot Name: AlbatrossFPV | MAAC#: 97485 | HEFA#: ?
Radio: Radiomaster TX16S | Goggles: FatShark Attitude V6
YouTube: AlbatrossFPV

bdg

Re: FPV Regulations

Unread post by bdg » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:55 pm

Aiden - always an opportunity and certainly there are rules. See https://secure.maac.ca/get_document.php?document_id=40. Probably the most important is that you need a spotter - someone to keep an eye on your quad to make sure that you are not getting too far away, are not interfering with other craft, etc. Depending on the power output, you are supposed to have a HAM radio license..... it seems like two different worlds but that is the intent.

MAAC is meant for aircraft >250g. Below that (my understanding) you are covered by TC regulations.

Brian

Ivan

Unread post by Ivan » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:56 pm

If you want a free pair of box goggles msg me have my old Vr 007 that i never use any more

SecretBuilder

Unread post by SecretBuilder » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:09 pm

Brian,
Do these regulations apply to quads under 250 grams or do they sit under the unregulated areal vehicle class because the Tiny Whoop is <250g and is also flown indoors for the most part because it is so small (41g, 65mm!). I believe that it's FPV system is a 25 megawatt system.
55_8e11b704-252d-4d22-86b3-35c555a42188_1024x1024.jpg
Ivan,
I do not have the quad yet, but I would be delighted to take you up on the offer when I purchase the quad. (maybe sometime in the new year)

Also, are all analog FPV systems/brands cross compatible? or are they like the 2.4 GHz transmitters and receivers where Spectrum is not compatible with Futaba and Frsky or vice versa. :|

Ivan

Unread post by Ivan » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:08 pm

No for the compatibility meaning i fly 2.4 video most ppl fly on 5.8 video as for the quad your looking at rotorgeeks if your spectrum get the one with the DSMx receiver as if you get a frsky quad you will not be able bind and use as for the goggle just msg me when you want them

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:51 am

Transport Canada Regulations apply to all "drones" that weigh 250 grams or more being flown outside. TC doesn't regulated indoor spaces.
"Drone" covers everything we fly.

MAAC rules are for everything, so technically as a MAAC member, FPV flying even a Tiny Woop need a spotter if you are out in public, ie not in YOUR house.

I assume you meant milliwatts for the power output as 25 megawatts would be a pretty large system, :)
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

SecretBuilder

Unread post by SecretBuilder » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:10 am

For the drone I plan on buying the no RX version because I will install my own FlySky mini RX using this website: http://support.betafpv.com/support/solu ... eta-65-pro as a guide. FlySky because this is the only hobby grade TX that I own.

Ivan,
I will message you when I get the quad. Thank you for the offer.

OK, so I need a spotter if I fly FPV anywhere besides in my house and I need a HAM radio licence if the power output is enough. (Yes, I do mean milliwatts :D )

One more question for now, at what power output do you need a HAM radio licence? 200 milliwatts? (The max power output on the tiny whoop is 25 milliwatts because of it's size)

Ivan

Unread post by Ivan » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:44 pm

for the quad you are using That TX will be fine as long as it has SBUS As for Ham i dont think you have to worry about 5.8 like others but you really dont need alot of power as long as you have good antennas i run a 5.8 1200mw on my orbit set to 500mw (for long range) and never yet lost video or felt i needed to up the power only switch to 2.4 video because of the guys i fly with For starting out 25mw for LOS is ok 200mw is the max you need as for a spotter theirs is alot of good guys at Shannon to spot for you Enjoy

SecretBuilder

Unread post by SecretBuilder » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:27 pm

So, I got the quad for Christmas. As it turns out the Meteor 65 was not available so I got the HappyModel Mobula 6 with a built in Flysky receiver. (I use a Flysky radio) I've been having a lot of fun with it, I flew it line of sight with at least a dozen batteries on Christmas day alone! I've also flashed JESC firmware with 48khz pwm to the ESC's which is supposed to improve efficiency and flight time.
Attachments
20201226_134147[1].jpg
20201226_134118[1].jpg

Ivan

Unread post by Ivan » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:04 pm

nice XMAS GIFT let me know when you need the Goggles