MAAC and Multi-rotors

A forum dedicated to multicopters since there is quite a a bit of interest among HEFA members.
retiredVTT

MAAC and Multi-rotors

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:03 pm

In the interest of keeping all members on the same page sort of...I direct your attention to page 45 of the September 2014 issue of Model Aviation received from MAAC.

I know there is a temptation to fly FPV alone....I have even seen it done as I was leaving Shannon one day. This is not acceptable under the MAAC Safety Code Document MSD8 which is explained in depth in the article on page 45.

Most of us realize that a "spotter" must be with any MAAC member who flys FPV, but how many of us realize that the spotter must be capable of taking over the operation of the model..! That rules out a large number of members who might be asked to "spot" for a multi-rotor pilot flying FPV.

Now, don't shoot the messenger, just passing the info along for safety's sake.

On a lighter note, turn to page 42 for a report on HEFA hosting a small FPV group at our Porters Lake Field back in June. Thanks to Calvin Martini of Riverview, NB for writing this article.

cheers,
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Re: MAAC and Multi-rotors

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:08 pm

http://shearwaterflyers.proboards.com/t ... llTo=12390

There have been some recent changes with Transport Canada regarding "drones" (their word) and President Dave over at the Shearwater Flyers has conversed with various people for clarification. The above link will take you to his thread.

If you find you cannot access this thread, it may be because you have to log in to their site.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

LordGarak

Re: MAAC and Multi-rotors

Unread post by LordGarak » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:43 pm

The new rules only apply to UAV's, anything flown for recreation is defined as a model aircraft under the regulations. So there is no change for recreational use.