Foam plane storage

anything to do with foam or depron models
MGC

Foam plane storage

Unread post by MGC » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:35 am

Well, I've hit the threshold in this hobby where it looks like it's time to think about moving some planes into the garage. I have an unheated detached garage, how do you guys think foam planes/electronics will fair in a garage that's an icebox in the winter and an oven in the summer?

bdg

Re: Foam plane storage

Unread post by bdg » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:02 pm

I knew that it had to be coming!!!

Now... how to answer this so that you keep building....? :D

The short answer (to me) is that you should be ok. How hot does it get inside in the summer? My planes are mostly in an attached garage so temperatures are quite hot in the summer but probably closer to 1-3 deg C in the coldest part of the winter. No issues in either case for me. I wouldn't be in a rush to take the plane from hot to cold and use it right away but would let it acclimate so that moisture build-up is minimized. Certainly LiPos like to be warmer (ie not -20°C) when used (otherwise very high internal resistance) and that is a consideration.

Most electronics have two ratings - a storage ambient temperature / humidity and an operating ambient temperature / humidity. I am not finding these specs for the Spektrum receivers but I have not had a problem operating in temperatures of, say, -5°C or even cooler. Same for my radio although I like to keep it in a bag in the winter - better for the unit (especially evident with the display!) as well as my hands!!!

My DJI refuses to take off if the batteries are cool. I think that the threshold is 15°C or so and therefore they need to be kept reasonably warm.

Oh... and summer heat and LiPos don't mix either. Heat is the enemy for the LiPo and results in puffing. It can be heat from too much current through the battery internal resistance (I^2 R losses), overdraining, or overheating if left in your car!

Personally, I think that you will be fine. Keep on building!

Brian

MGC

Unread post by MGC » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:02 pm

Thanks Brian! Hahaha yup the day did indeed arrive to extend the hanger to the garage, all thanks to the horizon hobby summer sale last month.... :lol: I'll keep the twin otter in the house though for ya so when I'm ready to sell it to you, it wont smell like garage. ;) hehe

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:39 pm

Not sure if others have experiences or not.... and your mileage might vary so "keep the receipt" on these comments from me!

Have you considered a storage rack or some other means to collect your planes? I made mine out of 1/2" PVC pipe not unlike that shown here: https://www.flitetest.com/articles/airp ... 2-pvc-pipe

Mine holds maybe 6 vertically.

Brian