Foamboard airplanes

anything to do with foam or depron models
MGC

Foamboard airplanes

Unread post by MGC » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:10 pm

This is my testimony to the durability of foamboard scratch built planes. I was testing out some new receiver settings in my FT simplecub. Long story short, she nose dived into the ground at full speed from about 100 feet up. After a 10 min hunt in the thorn bushes at shannon park, i found it. I was positive it would have been a crumpled mess, but no! Broken prop, landing gear a little bent and the branches cut into the wings, but they were intact! I put on a new prop and some electrical tape on the wings and was flying again in minutes. The plane didn't even need any trim! I'll patch it up proper in the workshop. My favorite thing about these is you never have to worry about getting parts because a plane is discontinued. You can just build the part again.
Attachments
20200623_113724_copy_2016x1134.jpg
20200623_114019_copy_2016x3584.jpg
20200623_125955_copy_2016x1134.jpg

bdg

Re: Foamboard airplanes

Unread post by bdg » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:42 pm

Mark,

My only experience with foamboard is with a "Flyguy" that I built. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RixvShD ... e=youtu.be.

Also: https://hoosiercutoutservice.com/planes ... m#FlyGuy31

Only one flight so far as the "plane" landed (really relatively gently) and the foam collapsed. The foam had the paper removed to lighten the plane and that compromised the strength. In hindsight I think that keeping the foam intact would have been a better idea.

Glad that all is well with your plane. A mid-week sneak to the field sounds like a really good idea....!

Brian

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:02 pm

The stalks on those thorn bushes are hard on foam wings. Rips right through them. I've lost a few wings out there.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

MGC

Unread post by MGC » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:03 pm

Whaaaaat was that! First 10 seconds of video clip, Confusion. Next 10 seconds, amazement. The rest, cracking up watching it! Do you still have this baffling wonder of aviation? I want to build one that looks like ironman now. Hahaha :D and please say you have a photo somewhere.

Mid week fly, yes i couldn't hold off till Saturday to fly again. The weather has been so beautiful! 8-) I think it was the paper and paint on the wing that kept it from snapping. Once you peel that foam off, shes pretty flimbsy. My legs are shredded worse than the plane from stomping through the brush. LoL