Lipo Discharge End Voltage

anything to do with foam or depron models
SecretBuilder

Lipo Discharge End Voltage

Unread post by SecretBuilder » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:51 pm

Hello,
So, I'm stuck at home with little to do so I figured that I would make another post, this one concerning, lipo discharge end voltage. Now the question, how far do you discharge your lipo batteries? I ask because some drone pilots discharge them to 3.0 volts under load and I know that this is not very good for the pack. Others say to discharge to 3.8 volts not under load or 3.5 volts not under load, or 3.3 volts under load so it gets a bit confusing.
Aiden | Pilot Name: AlbatrossFPV | MAAC#: 97485 | HEFA#: ?
Radio: Radiomaster TX16S | Goggles: FatShark Attitude V6
YouTube: AlbatrossFPV

bdg

Re: Lipo Discharge End Voltage

Unread post by bdg » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:30 pm

Aiden,

My understanding is that deeply discharging batteries will lower their life. With a starting voltage of 4.2V/cell, many target a final no-load of maybe 3.8V. 3.7V is more of a discharge which is generally ok but not discharging the batteries too far is preferred.

The question of under load is a challenge. This really depends upon the current that your pack is pulling to power the motor and electronics. The more the current draw, the greater the voltage drop through the battery internal resistance and then less terminal voltage on the leads. I would suggest that anywhere from 3.3-3.5V is a good start. Many of the preprogrammed units are set at 3.3V and cannot be changed; but there are others that can be adjusted and it is best to experiment with the values for an alarm. But ultimately a no-load of 3.75-3.8 is generally ok for the pack.

Brian