DIY Wireless Trainer

A place for info or problems concerning Transmitters, Receivers or Servos.
karlpenney

Re: DIY Wireless Trainer

Unread post by karlpenney » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:51 am

I have a Deltang Rx27-H on the way. It can be configured to provide PPM output on one of the pins. I will power it with a small 1S lipo so the package can be nice and compact.

Anyone know where to get a cable assembly with a right angle 3.5mm mono plug?

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:51 pm

That sounds good Karl!

I will see if I can find a source of right angle mono plugs although I suppose a good source would be to cut the training cable as you won't need it anymore :D
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

karlpenney

Unread post by karlpenney » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:27 am

I received the Deltang Rx27 the other day. It's very small and light. The Rx27 sends it PPM output on a servo pin, so I cut one of my trainer cables and put a servo connector on the end. I bound a DX6i to the Rx and fed the PPM output into a DX8.

It works, but the "neutral" pulse width coming out for each channel is a bit longer than I think it should be. With all trims and subtrims on both Tx set to zero, the servos move off center quite a bit when switching to the slave. Not sure if the issue is with the Rx or the slave Tx. In any case, it was easy to fix by adusting the subtrims on the DX6i.

For testing I have been using a four AA cell battery pack. Next step is to try powering it with a small 1S lipo.

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:30 pm

That sounds great Karl. I had the same issue with the centering with mine but I could adjust the timing in the firmware to get rid of it which is what I did. But in your setup if the subtrims on the student radio have enough adjustment then it should work just fine.

I wonder if the manufacturer of the receiver would consider adjusting the timing of the PPM? I can specify exactly what it should be for the DX8.

I look forward to seeing yours in action!
Rick MacDonald

karlpenney

Unread post by karlpenney » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:55 pm

Here is the finished product. The Deltang Rx and 1S lipo fit nicely inside one of those 2 x AA battery boxes from The Source.

These boxes come with a small switch that I wired up to the lipo so you can turn it on and off easily.
trainer1.jpg
trainer2.jpg

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Awesome job with that Karl!
Rick MacDonald