Blade SR RTF binding to Spektrum DX8

A place for info or problems concerning Transmitters, Receivers or Servos.
Dyson

Blade SR RTF binding to Spektrum DX8

Unread post by Dyson » Wed May 18, 2011 8:46 pm

I picked up a Blade SR RTF kit and tried to bind it to my DX8 Radio but I noticed something odd.

I picked heli and the 120 swashplate setup in the profile and left everything else at default values to start off. When I started to test servo action the collective was reversed and the elevator pitch went more side ways then front back. The ailerons did not function as expected either kind of worked in unison.

This in itself would not have raised anything abnormal to me excpet I had the same problem with trying to setup my T-Rex 450, I hooked the RX up as the documentation said but the swashplate action was not correct. With the T-Rex I used a radio profile that I found on the spektrum site so had expected everything to work correctly and when it did not I set everything aside and forgot about it.

The Blade SR RTF came with a Spektrum radio and an AR6100 Rx and that combo when bound works properly. So I am starting to wonder if my DX8 is out of whack or if it is just me.

Has anyone else rebound the Blade to another radio and had to rearrange the Rx connections so they function correctly. The DX8 is my first programmable radio and was more wandering is this normal to have to reprogram every thing right from the beginning. I thought it would be more just having to tweak a little here and there to fine tune.
Paul
Remember No matter where you go, there you are.

karlpenney

Re: Blade SR RTF binding to Spektrum DX8

Unread post by karlpenney » Wed May 18, 2011 9:38 pm

I don't think your DX8 is out of whack. You probably just have to reverse a couple of the servos in the radio setup. Google for "DX8 Blade SR" and you'll find some examples of how to set it up.

There have been sporadic reports of the AR6100/AR6200 rebooting for unknown reasons during flight when using the DX8. It has happened to me with an AR6200. Usually can't notice in flight because with the quick connect firmware they reconnect in about 0.4 sec. If it happens, the led on the Rx will be flashing.

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Wed May 18, 2011 10:54 pm

have you regisered the dx8 with spektrum? perhaps they have a profile you can download to your radio.

my son bought a mcpx and just downloaded it's profile, turned on the dx8 and the heli and proceeded to go fly. perfect setup.
that's one of the big selling features of the dx8. users can download and upload various setups for many models or even email em to others.

Dyson

Unread post by Dyson » Thu May 19, 2011 10:11 am

I am registered and have downloaded profiles onto the DX8 for the 450 and the swash plate acted the same way.

I expected to have to possibly reverse 1 servo, just not have rotate my servo connection until I found a combo that works correctly. I also expected radios using the same technology to operate the same. The radio with the blade heli is a Spektrum and the DX8 is a Spektrum.

If I have to make custom profiles right from the start that is what I will have to do. Not a big deal since nothing has worked right since my F22 plane was flown, getting used to having to improvise.
Paul

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Thu May 19, 2011 11:02 am

I'm a futaba guy and haven't looked at my son's dx8 menus. He says it's a lot more intuitive than the futaba, but he's not into setting up helis.

It does sound like one or two servos need reversing. I've seen this kind of thing several times setting up my helis and that's what fixed it. either that or a servo or two in the wrong socket.

as for collective reversed the futaba radios have a swash setting that allows reversing. if the swash numbers were +75 for instance and all throws/directions were correct, all I'd have to do would be dial the swash to -75. instant reverse. the dx8 should have something similar. not sure what they'd call it.

Dyson

Unread post by Dyson » Thu May 19, 2011 12:39 pm

I have been lookng at other peoples DX8/Blade SR profiles and they all use + values on their swashplate.
AIL +60
ELE +60
Pitch +30

But I have to set the Pitch to -60 for it to travel in the correct direction.

The Radio that came with the Blade has the dip switch for the Aileron in servo reverse mode and the rest are all normal. So I will have to pull out all the wires and trace them to verify which channel is going to which servo in case they did something differently.

To be safe I am going to upload a DX8/Blade SR config profile and see what happens, this should rule out me not configuring things correctly. If this does not work the only thing left to try is to bind my heli to another DX8 or bind my DX8 to someone else heli and load their DX8 profile on my radio and see what happens.
Paul

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Thu May 19, 2011 2:40 pm

Those dx8 settings are probably correct. what you should be looking for to reverse the swash is a swash adjustment that controls all three servos together. in futaba this is called swash AFR.

by changing just the pitch servo alone you may be creating the problem you're having.

Dirt Torpedo

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Thu May 19, 2011 5:00 pm

Last edited by Dirt Torpedo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dyson

Unread post by Dyson » Thu May 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Thanks for the info.

I found a couple of profiles on the web and the second one I tried worked perfectly. This gives me a good starting point to work backwards to see what I am doing wrong, and how to avoid it in the future. It is always nice to have a working config to start with especially for your first Programmable Radio.
Paul