Halifax Ocean Project Survey - Slope Soaring & kite flying

a place to discuss current events and other non hobby topics.
Ghost Flyer

Halifax Ocean Project Survey - Slope Soaring & kite flying

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:20 pm

Hi everyone. I have a favour to ask...

My daughter, Kaitlyn, is working towards her masters in marine management at Dalhousie University, and is doing some research on coastal activities and its connection to our health. For anyone that is interested, she has a survey that she is asking folks to complete. It occurred to me that our slope soaring at the Lawrencetown slope is a coastal activity. (I also fly kites on the slope and the beaches). Slope soaring isn't on her list of coastal activities to choose from, but there is an option to select "OTHER" activity, and then you can give your activity a name (Eg. Slope soaring).

Here is Kaitlyn's letter and a link to her survey.

Thank you so much,
Andrew

PS - Will be getting back to flying soon.

Dear potential research participants,

Halifax Ocean Project is excited to offer an opportunity for you to share YOUR experiences with coastal activities in Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM)/ K'jipuktuk! Any adult 18+ in Nova Scotia who participates in recreational activities on the coast or in the ocean in the HRM is invited to take part in a survey to map the locations of the coastal activities, share a bit about you, how coastal activities may impact your health, and the ways in which you access or have trouble accessing these spaces and activities. All responses are anonymous.

The results will contribute to the Masters graduate project of Kaitlyn Curran (Dalhousie Master of Marine Management Candidate) and the results will be available to be shared once the data is analyzed.

To thank you for your time you can choose to enter a draw for a chance of winning 1 of 10 $50 Visa gift cards at the end of the survey!

Follow the link to complete the survey: http://mpt.link/halifaxoceanproject

Feel free to share this with anyone you know who is interested in participating in coastal activities. We are excited to explore the health benefits and barriers of accessing coastal spaces to further understand what it may take to protect, preserve, and plan for these coastal areas in the future!

Check out our social media accounts on Facebook and Instagram for project updates and to submit your own photos of participating in coastal activities!

Best wishes & thank you,

Kaitlyn Curran, BN
Master of Marine Management Candidate
Vice President Internal Affairs, Marine Affairs Student Society
Marine Affairs Program | Dalhousie University

Last edited by Ghost Flyer on Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew C.

Ghost Flyer

Re: Halifax Ocean Project Survey - Slope Soaring & kite flying

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:30 pm

Here is the poster.
Attachments
Halifax Ocean Project Survey
Halifax Ocean Project Survey
Andrew C.

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:43 pm

A timely request indeed. Over the past 40 years I've been flying Slope soaring sailplanes at Lawrencetown Head I have seen strong evidence of coastal erosion. This has resulted in necessary alteration of the walking path along the crest of the hill, which used to go around the perimeter of the hill on the eastern point but has eroded and which now has to go through the wooded area. Also a cleared area on the east side of the slope is eroded and what remains of it is now forested.
The green portions within the eroded area on the southeast part of the attached photo were once at current ground level, but have now fallen downhill. The photo is as recent as Sunday 26 July and was taken by Derek Brown, a long time friend and model sailplane flier at Lawrencetown and who now flies his Ultralight Searey amphibious aircraft. He has collected numerous coastal photographs over the past couple of years which I am sure would contribute to evaluation of coastal erosion conditions.
Derek Brown Lawrencetown July 26 2021.jpg
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

Ghost Flyer

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:19 pm

Hi folks,

My daughter, Kaitlyn, wanted me to pass along her thanks to those of you have filled out her survey. In total, about 200 people have filled out her survey, giving her enough data to work with for her research.

On behalf of Kaitlyn, thank you!

And thanks from her dad, too!.. :D
Andrew

Ps. John, that is a great photo of the Lawrencetown Beach areas and the slope, that your friend snapped.
Andrew C.