New ParkZone P-51... possible servo problem?

Discussions related to milatary rc models
Enforcer

New ParkZone P-51... possible servo problem?

Unread post by Enforcer » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:00 pm

For those of you who have, or are thinking of buying the new P-51, I wanted you to know that one of my aileron servos stripped. I do not "think" it was due to a hard landing, and I am pretty sure I did not damage it in transit.

Anyway, I replaced both of them with Blue Bird 380MG servos. These metal gear servos are much stronger and at $15.00 CDN, an inexpensive upgrade.

I have made two other changes that take full advantage of the "480" motor... a Turnigy Plush 30A ESC (up from ParkZone 18A ESC) and a ParkZone 10x8 prop (up from a 9x6)! All I can say is... watch your six "Gerry" (Marc) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

AndrewS

Re: New ParkZone P-51... possible servo problem?

Unread post by AndrewS » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:47 am

Don't make her too fast Murray, or you will have the problem that the ME262 had. You're faster but they can cut across the circle faster than you can go around it...and you have to LAND sometime. :D :D

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

yorcram

Unread post by yorcram » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:02 am

Where did you get the MG Bluebirds? at $15cdn, that is a good price.

I get my 190 all dolled up and now everyone is chasing my 6. I am more than just a '6' :x :x I have a brain too, I think :?
Plane Crazey :D

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:55 pm

I got them from HC Marc! ($13.36 US - add shipping and convert to CAD - $15.00)
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:08 pm

OK, I did a bench test with the bigger prop and got the following bench numbers...

18.5 Amps
201 Watts

That's not as high as I thought things would go. I took it for a test flight at SP and there was little noticeable increase in speed. As a matter of fact, the only thing I noticed was how crappy it sounded. That bigger ParkZone prop (very thin and floppy) did not do anything to help move the P-51 any faster.

So, I tried an APC 10x5 E (almost the same numbers as above) and then an APC 11x8 E which gave me the same numbers as the Corsair and the T-28.... 24.5 Amps, 251 Watts. BTW, the Corsair and the T-28 use a ParkZone 9.5 x 7.5. These props look more like APCs. The only draw back when using APC props is the "cool" spinner does not fit... I'll have to get something that will.

I will run another flight test at SP soon. Maybe Wednesday evening.
Murray Wheten

Monty Python