I've lost my mind... it's all Bill's fault!

Discussions related to milatary rc models
yorcram

Re: I've lost my mind... it's all Bill's fault!

Unread post by yorcram » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:28 pm

Hmm, and poor Andrew is still waiting on his....
Plane Crazey :D

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:30 pm

Yes, I was just thinking of poor Andrew and his Spit... as I was sitting here drooling over mine! :lol:

Sorry Andrew, I can't resist poking a bit of fun. I truly am sorry tough that your Spit has not arrived yet. If you want, you can come over to my house and look at mine while you wait! :lol: But don't touch!!! :x

:)
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:30 am

Ouch...that one was a low blow..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:51 pm

Andrew knows I'm kidding. Right Andrew? You will appreciate it that much more when it does arrive.
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:26 pm

Murray, I'm reading through the Hyperion Spitfire thread, making notes of what is being used....I'll make a list here as I read on...

..for grass increase the wheel size to 2.25 inches...Dubro Wheels #225SL ..this requires increasing the retract wheel wells in the wing.

..50 amp OPTO esc
small receiver pack, could use 2S lipo with ubec ..or straight 4.8 vt nicad about 650-1000mah in size.

..Waypoint retract servo 150MGR

I'll add more later..
Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:25 am

I'm just not going to tell you when it arrives... so there! :D

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

yorcram

Unread post by yorcram » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:36 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You will.... it would be hard not to show it off. :D
Plane Crazey :D

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:51 pm

retiredVTT wrote:Murray, I'm reading through the Hyperion Spitfire thread, making notes of what is being used....I'll make a list here as I read on...

..for grass increase the wheel size to 2.25 inches...Dubro Wheels #225SL ..this requires increasing the retract wheel wells in the wing.

..50 amp OPTO esc
small receiver pack, could use 2S lipo with ubec ..or straight 4.8 vt nicad about 650-1000mah in size.

..Waypoint retract servo 150MGR

I'll add more later..
Bill
Thanks Bill!

I purchased the suggested "Power Pack" with this plane. This includes a Hyperion HP-Z3025-08T 970 kv motor , a Hyperion 50A ESC with built in "Cool" 4A/5V BEC. This ESC will accept 2-6 cell Lipos. If you do use a 5 or 6 cell Lipo, you have to disconnect the on board BEC and add a separate one. So, I am assuming that I won't actually need a separate BEC, since I will probably stick to 3 or 4 cell batteries with a C rating of 25 (again, a suggested C rating). The last item in the Power Pack is a Hyperion 50XL prop adapter.

The manual that came with the plane, also suggests the size and type of servos to use. It does not suggest a particular manufacturer though. The manual also states that a prop diameter of 10 be used, with a pitch of 7 to 10. It says to start with a 10x7 E (no brand suggested but I assume APC?).
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:19 pm

Here's the servos the manual suggests...

4 Micro/Mini 13g to 25g in weight - digital with metal gears (mounts are sized 13 x 26.5 mm)
retract MGR servo highly recommended for ease of installation and proper operation.

Oh, and I lied! It suggest using "their" brand of digital servos (what else!), and an Atlas USB Programmer for HP Digital Servos.

Here is the battery suggested...

3200 to 4200, 20 to 30C, 3S lipo. (I have 3200 and 5000, 15C, 3 Cell batteries that should be OK for now??? Yes? NO?)

So, I guess all I really need are batteries, servos, Rx, and some props. Could you give me any suggestion/thoughts about digital servos with metal gears to use?
Last edited by Enforcer on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murray Wheten

Monty Python

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:41 pm

Yes..your 3S packs will be ok for now...4S will make her perform though instead of just fly..!

As stated before I'm not big yet on digital servos and still like the HS85mg's or the slightly smaller HS65mg's...both excellent servos at a decent price.

You seem to have the other stuff covered...one way to disconnect that red wire in the esc while still being able to use the esc later is to connect a short extension to the receiver lead of the esc and cut the wire in the cheap extension..!

A lot of talk in the thread about the retract servo ...not sure if you know this but a "retract servo" is not a proportional servo, but instead is a "full travel servo"...when you flip the gear switch on the radio, the servo makes it's full travel. These servos are geared extra heavy. One guy wondered why he could not move this servo by hand (which is a bad practice with any servo) and was told by others that it was not defective...just geared heavy.

Anyway you seem to be on top of this....it will be nice to see it, not too many fiberglas fuselages around Shannon..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708