?

A place to post info regarding indoor r/c flying.
Dirt Torpedo

?

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:31 pm

?
Last edited by Dirt Torpedo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

retiredVTT

Re: Potential indoor venues?

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:11 pm

Those are good rates Jeff, and I know some contact was made by Andrew Curran regarding school facilites. If I remember correctly the price escalates if we want the building opened on the weekend. However when we polled the members last, the results were spilt even on having either a Saturday time or a weekday evening time.

You might contact Andrew by PM and check on who has been contacted, so we don't have duplication.

The main other facility that we checked on was the Tennis Court in Bayers Lake. It has a monsterous 35' center pitched ceiling but there was a potential problem with the upsidedown light fixtures that could capture a small model and fry it.

The indoor Soccer facility, where we flew a few times at noon last year has a high ceiling as well but is booked solid for all the reasonable times. It might be available from 10pm to midnight, and the cost was $80. an hour.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Dirt Torpedo

?

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:53 am

?
Last edited by Dirt Torpedo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost Flyer

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi Jeff,

I agree with you about the height. It would be much better if we could come up with something with a tad more clearance, height wise, especially for the guys with the 3D foamies. It's a bit of a long story that started this time, last year. Basically, we thought we'd be flying in the indoor soccer arena either on a weeknight or weekends. When I checked in with Soccer NS in August, as per their instructions, they said to call back in 2 weeks. When I did, they said with all the new soccer teams needing a time slot, there wasn't any time that they could fit us in, other than during the weekdays, between 8:30 AM and 3:30 PM. So, with that, I started checking out other places, including military sites (Eg. Halifax Armouries). Apparently, the Armouries are usually filled with vehicles and weekend soldiers, plus regular forces during the evenings. This led me down another path that I spent 2 months working on. I can't give the details, but it looked like we had a great place worked out for January, and just needed to cross the T's and dot the I's. On the very last step, in the end, it fell apart. So, I started down another path, yet again. In January, I worked hard at trying trying to get us a time slot in the Citadel High Community Gym, and after several phone calls, plus a site visit, and playing telephone tag, they weren't able to fit us in. We also tried the indoor tennis court. The usual phone calls, emails and site visits ensued, but as Bill said, if a plane ever got stuck in a lamp with a lipo, you can guess what will happen there. Ohhh... the tennis court would be the cat's meow if it weren't for those darn lights and a few curtain wires. The Navy gym at the fleet club would be great, but the fellow there says he always gives first dibs to the folks who have been renting from him, and they rent from him every year.

All of the ice arenas have ice in them during our indoor (winter/spring) season. At the time, we were only interested in indoor flying until April, but if there is "enough" demand, perhaps it's worth looking into extending the indoor season, into summer. Devonshire is dry now. I'm not sure about Bedford. Gray Arena still has ice. How this all gets paid for is also something that would need some consideration. With warmer weather on the way, it might be hard to get enough folks wanting to commit to paying to fly indoors. But if they do, post here, and we'll see what happens.

Currently, I have two irons in the fire for our next indoor season, running from November to March or April, 2011. I'm trying to iron out some details with our current location. I also have a call into my contact, at Citadel High, to make an inquiry for next season.

That is a good map of local arenas.

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew C.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:52 pm

That was an excellent compilation of your investigative activities over the past year, Andrew..!

I would suggest we scrap April for indoor flying next year if we have the same Saturday time slot as this year as a number of regulars opt to fly outdoors. November thru to the end of March seems to be good drawing dates.

If the Citadel gym ceiling is considerably higher than Shearwater, it should be gone after again. It would probably be one night thru the week, but that would likely work.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Ghost Flyer

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:31 am

Hi folks. If you'd like to have your very own private indoor flying arena which is only 15 minutes from downtown, have I got a FANTASTIC deal for YOU! For the resonably low price of only...., well, you'll see, this can be yours! :)

Of course, if you could share some space with HEFA for our indoor flying season, that would be just grand...lol

http://looplink.canada.cbre.ca/ll/16557 ... ake-Drive/

Andrew C
Andrew C.

Dirt Torpedo

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:36 pm

?

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:23 am

Just a follow up to say that we did land a contract with HRM for use of the Citadel High School Gym for the months of Nov and Dec 2010. Check the new thread re dates and times.

thanks Andrew and Jeff,

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Dirt Torpedo

Unread post by Dirt Torpedo » Sat May 14, 2011 8:56 pm

?
Last edited by Dirt Torpedo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun May 15, 2011 12:03 am

Looks like a great venue Jeff...although maybe to close for you..!

...would be nice to know more about it's availability and cost..

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708