Shearwater Indoor Flying

A place to post info regarding indoor r/c flying.
CF Av8or

Shearwater Indoor Flying

Unread post by CF Av8or » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:11 pm

I am happy to announce that I have just received approval for the Shearwater RC Flyers (SRCF) to host any other MAAC members at our weekly indoor flying sessions in the Shearwater gym!

As such, I would like to formally welcome all MAAC fliers to join us on Sunday mornings from 10:30 to 12:30 for indoor flying in the very nice indoor facility at Shearwater.

There is no fee for Sunday flying, but there are a number of rules which visiting fliers are expected to abide by:

1) Entry to fly in the gym does not imply access to the remainder of the facility. Once our flying session time is over, participants must leave the gym. Non-military (or retired military) personnel are not entitled to use the weight room, cardio room, pool, etc., unless they pay a drop-in fee to the facility.

2) SRCF members must take responsibility for any visiting fliers which use the facility, so as a result, an SRCF member must always be in attendance. If at least one SRCF member cannot be in attendance for a given Sunday flying session, then flying on that day will have to be cancelled and non-SRCF members will not be permitted to fly at the gym.

As such, visiting fliers will need to check the SRCF forum, at the "Flying Schedule" section, before they venture out to Shearwater. Here is the link: http://shearwaterflyers.proboards.com/b ... g-schedule

Ideally, no later than the preceding Saturday evening, if at least one SRCF member intends to participate on Sunday, he shall communicate this on the SRCF Forum. If by early Sunday morning no SRCF member has indicated that they will attend, then flying will be deemed cancelled that day, and visiting fliers seeing this can avoid making an un-necessary trip to Shearwater.

So, welcome all indoor flyers. Come in out of the cold and join us for some warm winter flying!

Cheers,
Vic

bdg

Re: Shearwater Indoor Flying

Unread post by bdg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:22 am

This is FANTASTIC news, Vic! Thank you for looking out for the greater RC flying community! I know that some HEFA members will be participating when possible. The time slot is great too.

To confirm, is this the location of the Shearwater Gym - Boundary Rd, Shearwater, NS B0J 3A0 - and adjacent to the hockey rink? Parking at the Boundary Road parking lot?

How does the gym size compare with Porter's Lake?

Thanks again!!!

Brian
Attachments
SW_GYM.JPG

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:54 pm

Yes, that's it, the Shearwater Fitness and Sports Centre. Parking is directly across the street.

The gym is quite a bit bigger than Porters Lake Comm Ctr, but the ceiling may be slightly lower.

Cheers,
Vic

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:40 am

Looking forward to Sunday. Any indoor thermals?
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Yes, in fact. Unfortunately, they are downward thermals. The ceiling ventilation/heating system can't be turned off.

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:49 pm

CF Av8or wrote:Yes, in fact. Unfortunately, they are downward thermals. The ceiling ventilation/heating system can't be turned off.
I guess I'll have to fly inverted.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:27 pm

A fine turnout of 13 fliers today with a wide variety of models.
The site is plenty large, the only disadvantage being the ceiling which is a bit low and lots of beams.
Very much improved on the Prospect and Porter's lake sites.
Indoor maidened my MiniMayfly 1m on a couple of shortish flights. I stripped gears on my left rudder servo last night and could not turn left very well.
I think I've got a replacement servo and should not have to wait for Hobby King slow boat from China.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks for coming out today, John. Good to see a number of HEFA folks joining us at the gym.

That MiniMayfly is a real beauty. Hope you can get the servo replaced soon.

Cheers,
Vic

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:02 pm

Another great day today - thanks again to Vic and to the SW club.

The 2 hours went by amazingly fast. I spent the bulk of the time buddy-boxing with my 11-yr old son. Thanks to everyone for making him feel welcome! Tight quarters for learning and definitely the slow flying and predictable Vapour was the easiest to coordinate in the area. We also had up a Champ although the balance felt off - but seems to be very close to the recommended 28mm from the leading edge and it had flown ok in the past. The little Inductrix FPV was also a big hit through the hoops.

I purchased a new profile flyer - the UMX Yak 54 3D - to replace my beat up old AS3Extra, which has so much reinforcement in the nose that it doesn't perform like it did.... I only had one flight with the new Yak but it was fantastic!! These are available at MSC and there is a current immediate rebate of $12.50 being offered through Horizon / MSC for the buyer. I did have the opportunity to purchase for a few dollars cheaper elsewhere on-line but it is always preferred to support our LHS where possible - and we get it immediately! Highly recommended for $135-$12.50, plus HST (not necessarily in that order). Great plane and really opens up the indoor space to opportunities - but VERY fragile.

I did try my UMX Timber as well. This is AMAZING in the air at SP and I have even used it for training when the club Apprentice was not available. It is great in that environment but just seemed too quick and powerful in the smaller gym. I was flying at 1/2 flaps and it was outpacing others too much.... so I brought it in fairly quickly.

I also had a new Torrent 110 in the air - another higher-powered FPV quad. Very low rates and on 2S. It performed well for the short 2 minute flight.

Nice to see HEFA members taking advantage of this indoor opportunity - and so close. I counted almost 8-10 members or so participating today... and of course some folks have their "dual memberships" between the clubs.

Thanks again to SW!!!

Brian

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:50 pm

Another great morning with our friends at Shearwater! For those that have not tried it - you NEED to try it out!!! Definitely a tighter space and the need to keep your eyes open. Slower planes work best and maintain the general flying speed of other planes. The Vapour is fantastic; as is the UMX Yak 54 3D (good choice, Rick!!!); as well as countless other home-made slow-flying craft and other purchased planes.

Thanks again to those that welcomed my son.... he seems to be getting hooked and is getting better on the sticks.....!

Brian
Attachments
G9X_IMG_2253.jpg
G9X_IMG_2251.jpg
G9X_IMG_2249.jpg
G9X_IMG_2247.jpg