Indoor flying venue

A place to post info regarding indoor r/c flying.
Vonrichtofen1

Indoor flying venue

Unread post by Vonrichtofen1 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:13 pm

I'm interested in trying some indoor flying. I recently built the Dancing wings "Spacewalker" kit. It comes in at about 45 grams flying weight. It's a little light to fly outside.
Does anyone know where there is active indoor flying? A school gymnasium? I'd be willing to chip in some cash with a group if renting a place for an afternoon is an option.
Greg

bdg

Re: Indoor flying venue

Unread post by bdg » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:41 pm

Hey Greg!

I am not aware of any indoor options at the moment. I am understanding that this could be a challenge due to indoor gathering limits due to COVID still very much in place. I believe that the limit is 10 for recreational activities. See https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/restr ... gatherings. I am not sure how facility staff figure into that but likely outside of the numbers….

Our hope is that these restrictions will start to ease soon, but only time will tell!

That is not to say that a group of 10 people with physical spacing and masks could not be fun… but it just adds to the challenge that we are facing and the need to be following health requirements.

Do you know of any locations that are renting their facility?

Vonrichtofen1

Unread post by Vonrichtofen1 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:30 pm

I looked briefly online at a couple of places and the usual price was approx 80$/hr. I figured 2 hrs=160$. 10 guys=16$ each. Seems not too expensive.

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:23 am

Prospect Road Community Centre Gym is $55.00 per hour.

See this link.

https://www.centre.prospectcommunities. ... ty/booking

We have flown there in the past. The key is to have the flyers along the short end wall. Gives more width for flying. 10-12 feet taken off the short side has less reduction of 'airspace' than 10-12 feet off the long side.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:46 am

The only place that I know of that is still doing indoor flying is the South Shore RC club. They fly at the HB Studio in Bridgewater on Sunday. I think it 12 - 2 pm, but you should ask on their Facebook to be sure. I'm not sure if there's a cost.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SSRCFLYING
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

Entropist

Unread post by Entropist » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:19 pm

Indoor flying i available Wednesday afternoons, 12 to 4 at the indoor soccer stadium in Kentville. It's organized by the Wings of Wellington guys, costs $10, and is a great place to fly. FYI about 1 hr 15 minutes from Bedford.
Last edited by Entropist on Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
John W.
HEFA
MAAC

Entropist

Unread post by Entropist » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:35 pm

Flying is finished for the foreseeable in Windsor.
Last edited by Entropist on Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
John W.
HEFA
MAAC

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:27 pm

Thanks for sharing, John!

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:34 am

There has been flying at Kentville Soccer Stadium the last 2 Wednesdays. The last I heard is that there will be indoor at Kentville this coming Wednesday the !6th of March. Usually there is no indoor during March break, but that is NOT the case this year.

Fee is $10.00, with flying from 1-4pm.

Note that they want you to wear sneakers on the turf. The original intent was that users not wear outdoor footwear on the turf and the expectation was that users would change their footwear. So, in the past, most flyers wore normal outdoor footwear and changed just outside the door to the indoor turf.

It now seems that wearing sneakers outdoors and on the turf is acceptable.

Last week some users wore masks, some didn't. It seems masks are required indoors except when on the turf. Staff wore masks. So did some of the flyers. Be safe, bring a mask in case rules change.

For those that have not been there before, plugs are available for charging. No tables or chairs, but there are some benches.

Directions from Halifax. Take the 101 highway to exit 14. Turn right at the end of the off ramp. About 4 km later watch for the flashing school zone light. Turn left shortly after. There will be a school on the left and the soccer stadium on your right. Official name now appears to be Credit Union Rec Complex. The civic address is 38 Gary Pearl Drive, Kentville. The phone number is (902) 678-2426

https://cloud.rampinteractive.com/credi ... e6532d.jpg
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)