What battery chargers are you using?

A place to learn more about Electric RC Flying.
Ghost Flyer

What battery chargers are you using?

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:17 am

Hi guys. I'm trying to get back to flying, but my battery charger seems to have ended up in the abyss, in my basement - forever lost with all of my adaptors. Just wondering what folks are using for charging at home and at the field these days. Any recommendations?

The biggest battery I have is 6-s, but mostly use 1, 2 and 3-s batteries. MSC is selling the Spektrum Smart s2100, but that is an AC powered charger. I'm not sure how long of use I would get at the field using my 600 amp motor master power eliminator.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Andrew C.

JohnOSullivan

Re: What battery chargers are you using?

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:53 am

I got an ISDT Q6 Lite Smart Charger 200w/8amp Smart Charger at Mighty Small Cars last year.
It is only 3" square by 1.5" high. up to 6s capability.
It will do all types of battery
Nicest compact and easy to use charger I have used.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

rhyneheimer

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:14 pm

i've had 2 of these 50w ones for many years (~10) - i see they're still being sold, altho' updated for LiHV and 80w -
never failed, and i've only charged at low rates -

Turnigy Accucel-6 80W 10A 1~6S Balancer/Charger -
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-acc ... _analytics
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:50 am

If you buy a DC powered charger, there are lots of options to power it off AC. You can buy laptop computer AC adapters that put out 12 or 15 volts. Do not get the 19volt ones as most charger don't like that high input voltage. There are also various AC adapters available from Mouser, Digi-Key, etc. One brand is Mean Well. There are many others.

You can also convert used AT or ATX computer power supplies to give you multiple 12 volt output jacks. There is a topic on here that has an article describing the process. A simple approach to conversion is this or similar.

https://www.banggood.com/ATX-Power-Adap ... ether-auto

If in doubt, I always buy a DC powered one and figure out how to get DC at home.

See the following topics on this forum

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5298

https://www.halifaxelectricflyers.com/F ... =20&t=4552
Last edited by saboo on Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:04 am

For in car charging, I buy a cigarette lighter adapter and connect 12 or 14 gauge heater cord in place of the thin wire they supply. At the end I put 2 sets of colour coded banana jack receptacles. This allows you to use your DC powered charger while driving to the field.

You can also buy alligator clips, battery post sized ones, that have shaped ends on one side of the wire connecting clamps. They are shaped to receive the male banana jacks. This converts the male banana jacks to battery post clamps.

Ghost Flyer

Unread post by Ghost Flyer » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:10 pm

Thank you, John, Steve, and Jim. I was hoping to buy something local, but was told at MSC that manufacturers have moved away from DC, and most everything that is available nowadays is strictly AC. I was quite surprised to hear that. Jim, that is a fantastic post on converting old AT & ATX power supplies. I probably have at least one kicking around, for someday.
Andrew C.

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:16 pm

On Hobby King, search Reaktor charger. Note spelling. Many are AC/DC Many are dual output. So you can charge 2 batteries at a time up to 6S. AC or Dc input. Mine is an older one, only DC input.

On BangGood.com search LiPo charger. Several models similar to HobbyKing models. Probably quicker shipping from HK US, but less expensive shipping from BangGood.

The HOTA Thunder 6250, on BangGood is the same as the Reaktor I have. DC only

This one, SKYRC T200, has good reviews.
https://www.banggood.com/SKYRC-T200-2X1 ... mds=search
Has quite different appearance. 100-240volt AC. DC input is via an XT60 connector, but you need to make up your own cable. Also no charge cables come with it. But the XT60 connector is the output and accepts the standard balance connector. So in most cases no cables are needed. For my Reaktor, I have made up all kinds of weird and wonderful cables. Output is a pair of banana jack receptacles. The XT60 on this SKYRC would be more useful and have saved me a lot of work.

The firmware on many of these has become quite advanced. I would like to have one of the newer ones that allow you to adjust the end or terminal voltage. I prefer to err on the cautious side and would like to charge to a peak below the theoretical maximum.