FPV setup question

A place to learn more about Electric RC Flying.
the-mailman

FPV setup question

Unread post by the-mailman » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:54 pm

I'm totally confused about how to do an FPV setup. If anyone can help me it would be appreciated. I'd rather not buy something that isn't suitable.

I have an Eachine VR-007 headset that works well with my drone. I'd like to get a camera and transmitter that I can use on different RC vehicles, cars, boats, and planes. The headset doesn't do DVR so that's not important right now.

There seem to be so many options I have lots of questions.

1) My headset displays 600 TVL with a 4 x 3 aspect. Does it matter what TVL the camera has? Some are as much as 1200.
2) Are the all-in-one cameras any good or should I get a separate camera and TX? Of course I can always upgrade the camera if the TX is separate.
3) Do antennas make a difference? Stick or cloverleaf seem to be the options.
4) Field of vision is probably a preference issue, but is there a one that is a good starting point? They seem to come in 120 - 170 degree versions.
5) Do you have a link to suitable one you have used that I can look at?

Thanks,
Bruce
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

trevor

Re: FPV setup question

Unread post by trevor » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:28 pm

There is a lot to take in here. But you should go with a separate vtx and camera. Anything more than 600tvl will not matter with your goggles. Go with a clover antenna as it will work better when you get behind a tree or something. But remember 5.8 will crap out with lots of stuff blocking you and the thing you are flying. As for fov it is something to experiment with. And depends on what style you are flying. But most higher end cams are going to give you about the same. I would get something with 140 fov to start with and go from there. Getfpv.com has some stuff
what do you mean low rates and expo???

trevor

Unread post by trevor » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:41 pm

As for vtx the mw depends on how far you want to go if you are flying at Shannon park you really don't need anything more than 200 mw but if you want to fly a bit farther my go to is 600mw. Just remember you can out fly most park flyers with 600mw vtx. Hit me up if you need some help

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:28 pm

Thanks Trevor, I'll have a look. So much to learn.

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:04 am

trevor wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:41 pm
As for vtx the mw depends on how far you want to go if you are flying at Shannon park you really don't need anything more than 200 mw but if you want to fly a bit farther my go to is 600mw. Just remember you can out fly most park flyers with 600mw vtx. Hit me up if you need some help
In reviews I see a lot of people complaining that they get really hot. Will this be a problem if I put it in a case to keep the dust out if I use it on one of my RC cars?

trevor

Unread post by trevor » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:58 pm

Not if you put some holes in it for air. I wouldn't worry about dust as we have them wide open on our quads and wings and they take a lot of dirt in crashes when we race hard. But like you say they do get a bit hot. If you do cover it just make sure you have some air flow. Maybe place it near the center rear of the truck or car. This will help a bit.

trevor

Unread post by trevor » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:00 pm

Look for a ts832 600 me vtx. These are super tuff and what we use on our wings. It's the bigger one in a black case. They are on Amazon for about $30 sometimes you can get a camera with them for $45 for the combo