HEFA Updates

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
saboo

Re: HEFA Updates

Unread post by saboo » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:21 am

Well Done.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:18 pm

Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop for some early discussions for field use. We've met with members of ASRCM and are working through some details for use of this field. It checks a lot of boxes - (1) Outside of controlled airspace; (2) Private land which can be access controlled; (3) An existing field with an landowner interested in supporting the hobby; (4) Increased use of this site; (5) Ability to fly larger planes (no turbines).

The field is located off Lynch Road and is essentially behind the Wildlife Park. This is roughly 60km/40min from SP.
Capture_ASRCM.JPG
ASRCM is a great field and the people - like most in this great hobby - are top shelf. Our hope would be that approval of this site from MAAC through a SOC would be fairly straight-forward, with submission of site plans and club rules, and that we could be flying soon...! HEFA would be helping with that process but working closely with ASRCM folks.

More to follow but - if you have any questions or concerns - then please feel free (as always) to reach out!!

Brian

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:07 am

Although it’s a bit far for me, I’m looking forward to this collaboration. A dedicated proper field opens up opportunities for more kinds of flying, maybe even events of some sort. Though I guess this means I’ve got to bend the knee to TC and take my drone exam. I’ve got a ham radio license already, I guess I’ll keep chasing certifications!

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:10 pm

ASRCM is a good option.

The satellite view shown is a few years out of date. The boundaries of the plot of land, part of which is used as a flying field, are close to the large square which is defined by the distinct change in vegetation. A portion of the wooded area south of the field was cleared several years ago. As well the area North of the marker has also been cleared to some extent. The access road is no longer the long looping road. A new road has been made approximately parallel to the south edge of the field. The field is at the crest of a small rise with good 360 degree views.

The space is open with no or few trees to the North of the pits and the runway. The flying line is approximately East West. Sun is usually nearly at your back from 11am-2pm. To the East is an area that slopes away and down from the main flying area.

The road off the old Route 2 has its share of curves as do many rural roads in NS. The final road in is not paved and has at times presented issues with water drainage. I understand that it has been improved by ditching and gravel where required. Once you are on the field it is an excellent flying field.

There does not appear to be any aerodromes within MAAC guidance distance or the TC rules. At one time Lands and Forests, ( who can follow their renaming by various governments?) operated a landing site and hanger for some of their helicopter fleet between the Wildlife Park and the Route 2.

There are some year round and seasonal eateries in the Shubenacadie area. Unfortunately the famous Kentucky Fried Chicken location closed decades ago. If you remember that place, you are old like me.

All in all a good field.

From the Armdale Rotary or even Bedford, the travel time to either Avon or ASRCM fields is similar with ASRCM being about 6 minutes shorter. For people say on Portland Street in downtown Dartmouth, the travel time via the 118 is about 42 minutes. To the Avon field it would possibly be 5 -6 minutes more. The difference is a bit more of the road to Avon field is via 100 series roads, so it seems quicker, The driving time is actually shorter to ASRCM.

In most cases the choice will come down to which is closer to those people you like to fly with. If your traditional flying friends go to one or the other because the large majority are close to a particular field, you may choose to drive to the field where they congregate, regardless of the distance.

Or chose to go to the closer field and meet new fliers or reacquaint yourself with former flying friends.

My assesment is ASRCM is a viable and usable field. It is probably the closest field to much of Metro. It is not as close as Shannon Park for sure.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:01 pm

It's a good field. I've flown there several times during their fun flys. It's a little further than Windsor, but it should be less wind. The valley seems like it's always windy. Glad to see some progress is being made.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

Lexflyer2022

Unread post by Lexflyer2022 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:33 am

Nice eh!!

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:14 pm

We do have some unplanned extra work ahead of us for paperwork associated with ASRCM. While TC differentiates between an airport (3nm) and a heliport (1nm), MAAC essentially treats these the same. ASRCM is 1.57nm from a heliport meaning that enhanced safety protocols need to be in place including heightened visibility, procedures for stopping flying in the event of a manned aircraft in the area, etc. These club rules will be subject to closer scrutiny and review as well.

Nothing that is insurmountable and MAAC have provided some templates associated with MPPD18 which hopefully will not change extensively with new upcoming requirements.

Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop.

Brian

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:46 pm

More paperwork for the paperwork gods eh? What’s the antonym of “facilitate”?

KevinM

Unread post by KevinM » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:48 pm

I paid a visit to the field last weekend to check it out and the field is in need of some work but a word of caution for small cars. the new road they put in a year or so ago to get to the pits is not finished , just trees removed by a dozer and gravelled only 100 ft, a 4x4 would have issues trying to get up it. for the time being use the old road that circles the flying field in order to get to the pits. with some work it will be a great field but wind and winter have taken a toll on the site. Porta portie was on it's side and crushed, tin roof on sun shelter was partly ripped off (missing some panels) , tables upside down and blown around. nothing that couldn't be put back right with a work party for a day.

Kevin
The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and MISS

Lexflyer2022

Unread post by Lexflyer2022 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:19 am

Lex loves a good work party.