HEFA Updates

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
saboo

Re: HEFA Updates

Unread post by saboo » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:53 pm

It is a sad day when a private organization tries to assert rules and behavior substantially different than those established by the government. Persons with a TC Basic Certificate could fly at the field used by ASRCM, today.

The fact that a private body makes up rules and then threatens its members with expulsion if they ignore them, by flying at a private field that meets TC regulations, demonstrates they may be totally out of touch with their members. Certainly seems that way to this member. Just think, if GM said if you as a GM owner also drive a Ford, your GM vehicle warranty would be voided. No individual would ever by a GM product.

Maybe it is time for members of this organization to politely but firmly express their feelings to the executive that came up with such rules. Maybe the executives of member clubs should insist the rule that threatens expulsion be rescinded.

It may well be time for club executive to insist that the national organization follow TC rules regarding fields, not arbitrary rules that the organization adopts.

The sad and disturbing reality is the national organization appears to have lost the hearts, minds, and support of their members in many ways.
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:43 pm

Just saw the latest updates. What the heck is MAAC thinking? Get my RPAS and fly anywhere I'm allowed to by TC. Join MAAC and fly nowhere, but MAAC approved sites. Fly somewhere under RPAS rules and risk punishment by MAAC. One should have nothing to do with the other. If I need an RPAS and MAAC membership to fly at their sites then fine, but the heavy handed rules do nothing to move the hobby forward. What if I want to fly at by brother's home on the water. Totally fine by TC. He can't apply for a personal site since he doesn't fly or belong to MAAC. So far I'm not a happy camper.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

KevinM

Unread post by KevinM » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:55 pm

I was just made aware of the ASRCM field Executive have been approached by our zone director (Carl) in regards to their SOC. Apparently with a simple one or two rule changes to the club rules Carl is willing to recommend approval of an SOC for the field. Apparently some people are under the impression that the field is within a control zone and you could not fly there. According to RPAS Wilco the club field is just outside the Shubenacadie Heliport zone and fully capable of being granted an SOC for uncontrolled airspace. This might be another option for HEFA members if they don't mind a 40 min drive from Halifax. For me the distance/driving time is the same to go to the Avon field outside Windsor as it would be to go to the ASRCM field.

Kevin
The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and MISS

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:32 pm

Hey Kevin!

Our HEFA Directors are actively working with the good folks at ASRCM to support the paperwork required to (hopefully) secure a SOC from MAAC. The documents were submitted late last week and yes - we received a response today requesting some edits to the proposed club rules from MAAC.

As suggested earlier - MAAC is not differentiating between an airport (3nm) and a heliport (1nm) and is treating all as aerodromes and requiring a 3nm separation or with enhanced rules if within the 3nm radius. NAV Canada app and RPAS Wilco do differentiate between these types of facilities and show the ASRCM field as outside of specified control zones. For reference, the heliport is 1.57nm from the ASRCM site.

I did stop by the field today and will post some pics shortly. These supplement some that were previously posted.

Brian

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:15 pm

I was at ASRCM today for a quite visit (as mentioned above). I believe as suggested in earlier posts, there is some damage to some of the field. Mostly the porta-potty is in near of replacement / repair / removal. The roof of the picnic tables is damaged. At least one pilot station needs some repair. Staging areas need to be reviewed too. Greenlee is in place but I did not open - we would need to make sure that a fire extinguisher is included.

The roadway access has been adjusted but the field is per existing plans / configurations with the pilot stations and flying areas. The road was passable by motorcycle and I would have been able to get my car through it today. A few larger rocks present but dry and solid (today anyways!).

My thumb made it to a few of these pics ;-)
Attachments
IMG_4414.jpg
IMG_4413.jpg
IMG_4412.jpg
IMG_4411.jpg
IMG_4410.jpg

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:16 pm

A few more pics.
Attachments
IMG_4419.jpg
IMG_4418.jpg
IMG_4417.jpg
IMG_4416.jpg
Pano of the pits area...
Pano of the pits area...

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:16 pm

A few more.
Attachments
IMG_4422.jpg
IMG_4421.jpg
IMG_4420.jpg

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:35 pm

To keep everyone in the loop with progress of the ASRCM application....
  • ASRCM has been re-registered with MAAC. That was completed by Rick (thanks again!!!!) https://www.maac.ca/en/clubs_details.php?club_id=47
  • HEFA has been working with ASRCM for proposed revised ASRCM rules. As previously stated, there are enhanced requirements as the field is within 3nm of the heliport. Those proposed rules were submitted to MAAC for review on Thursday of last week.
  • We received a response to those proposed rules from MAAC today (Sunday). There are some proposed adjustments from MAAC that are being reviewed now. Assuming that we are in agreement (which I believe will be the case - TBD), then the SOC should hopefully be approved fairly quickly. That would open the door to approved use of the field under the MAAC umbrella.
  • Of course, the rules would need to be published to members for review. And while it goes without saying, member support of those club rules and those of TC/MAAC would be critical elements to the operation of this field.
So... if you don't have it already, then consider completing the TC basic test, preparing a log and getting a few models registered... we could be in business soon....!!!!

Brian

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:04 pm

The MAAC SOC for ASRCM has been APPROVED.

It is very important that members at the site follow all of the TC and MAAC regulations. Minimum BASIC license; registering your planes with TC, etc. Club rules need to be followed. These were "tweaked" by MAAC for compliance to the latest requirements and are attached for your review and are also available on the MAAC site (https://www.maac.ca/en/clubs_details.php?club_id=47). Similarly, the SOC is attached but can also be found on the MAAC site.

We have some work to do to reinstate warning signs (I have several from MAAC - they need to be mounted on plastic or some surface and are 12"W x 27" H) at the entrances. We need to get key access to the Greenlee enclosure (not sure if a combination lock might suffice?). We need to get a fire extinguisher on site. There are also some necessary repairs for the working platforms and pilot stations. The list is fairly long but manageable for sure!!!!

This site opens up A LOT of opportunities for our members. Larger planes. Gas options. Controlled access.

Woo hoo! Time for some flying, a BBQ and some (safe) FUN!!!

Brian
Attachments
SOC [Club 47(B)]ATLANTIC SOCIETY OF RC MODELERS - Field.pdf
SOC
(377.35 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
ASRCM RC Flying Club Rules 2023.pdf
Club Rules
(585.42 KiB) Downloaded 46 times