End of an era for HEFA..

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
retiredVTT

End of an era for HEFA..

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:33 am

With it being one hour into the New Year of 2023 and no new lease of the flying field at Shannon Park, I guess it's time to realize that "the party's over!

Well, it lasted several years longer than we thought. I can't recall exactly when we started flying at Shannon...but it had to be around 2006...we were not a "society'' in those days. Couple years later we incorporated, in Oct. 2008, joined MAAC and started growing as a "Club". I recall that one year we had a membership of 62 and had to hope that everyone did not show up on the same day..!

I'd like to say "thanks" to everyone for making these last 14 years at Shannon a beautiful memory. We had some great times along with a few sad times as we said goodbye to fellow flyers such as Earl Inkpen, Tom Foote, Tony Joseph, Steve Wiper...I can only hope they have moved on to "Bluer Skys"..!

So what's in the future for a local flying field....for now HEFA still has access to the MacFarland field at Porter's Lake and the Shearwater Club has offered us a daily $5.00 fee until such time that the yearly fee of $45. has been paid. (this is their regular yearly fee for a "Associate Membership")

So we shall "party on" as they say....Happy New Year to all...will be nice to visit "Tim's" again as a group..!

Later Edit: https://halifax.citynews.ca/local-news/ ... -319893485

Later, Later Edit:
In January 2023, Canada Lands Company concluded a development agreement with HRM that will govern how the site will be developed over about a decade. A public hearing was held on February 2, 2023 during which HRM council approved that agreement. With council support, Canada Lands will start fine-tuning details of the plan including design guidelines, detailed engineering as well as park space planning in cooperation with the HRM – while ensuring there is active community engagement along the way.
Last edited by retiredVTT on Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

DoverSail

Re: End of an era for HEFA..

Unread post by DoverSail » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:26 pm

My first time at Shannon Park was in 2019, so I only got to enjoy a couple of years at the site, but I am also sorry to see it go.

There are other places I will fly, but not with such excellent people.

Sometimes it seems that the world is circling the drain, but we can hopefully keep our collective chins up and find a new home!

Don’t forget, if you have any input into a new field or would like to be involved in the search, email the HEFA board!

bdg

Re: End of an era for HEFA..

Unread post by bdg » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:44 pm

Happy New Year everyone!

Yes, it is unfortunate that SP is no longer available to us. There could be unexpected delays which might reverse this decision, but that is a long-shot. So many good memories and fun times at SP. Great flying. Great BBQs. Great fun and friendships. Truly a spot where we've had flights with people from 8 yrs old to 80 years old! What times.

As per our AGM, the intent now is to move forward for a new main field. Certainly we remain so fortunate to have PL as an approved flying area and that is now our main flying site. PL is a great site. The taller trees are certainly close - just in front of the pilot stations - and normal flying would be over these trees. Alternatively, a more "planned" route can be organized moreso over the main runway - but that requires lots of effective communications.

We need enthusiastic members to help with our organized plan to try and secure another field. A few key points were discussed:
  • Overlay existing local MAAC fields on a central map with a typical catch area radius
  • Prepare a letter to land owners
  • Seek land ownership info - potentially through Viewpoint or other sources - with an approved budget of $200.
  • Coordinated approach to reach out to owners
We recognize that this will take time.

If you are interested in being part of this committee, then please reach out and let us know. Email HalifaxElectricFlyers@outlook.com or reach out to any of the Directors.

Brian