COVID-19 - Second Wave and Gathering Restrictions

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
bdg

COVID-19 - Second Wave and Gathering Restrictions

Unread post by bdg » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:27 pm

Well... our much beloved "Atlantic Bubble" has burst. The attention of our Atlantic population to diligent self-isolation had worked well for a while. But with the rising cases across Canada, and with potentially a few individuals not following the necessary protocols, we are once again in a dilemma.

What does this mean to us? At first I was thinking that we would be okay just due to the distances between people and the outdoor environment. BUT the health directions are suggesting otherwise.

See https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/count ... s/halifax/
Capture_COVID1.JPG
We are trying to get some clarifications from the Health Authority for outdoor activities but - for the meantime - gatherings to fly under the HEFA umbrella and at our MAAC-approved fields are temporarily suspended.

As you can see here https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20201124004, there are possible fines of $1000 per individual.

Be safe. Be considerate of others.

And thank you!

Brian
Last edited by bdg on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoverSail

Re: COVID-19 - Second Wave and Gathering Restrictions

Unread post by DoverSail » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:21 am

Are we still grounded after yesterdays update?

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:14 pm

The current restrictions in areas of Halifax Regional Municipality and Hants County are extended until 11:59 p.m. on Dec. 20
Effective 12:01 a.m. on Dec. 21 to 11:59 p.m. on Jan. 10, the following restrictions are in place provincewide:

social events, festivals, special events, arts/cultural events and sports events are not permitted
So I would say yes, We are still grounded until Jan 10/11, 2021
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:31 pm

I see things in a different light.
From The Provincial site
"Facility bookings & rentals

Rentals at municipally-owned and operated recreation facilities, community centres and arenas will resume with regular hours on Monday, Dec. 21. Please call your local facility for more information.

As directed by the province, groups of 25 are permitted for practice and training only. No games, tournaments or spectators are permitted at this time.

Recreation programming, partner facilities, gyms & pools
Most municipally owned and operated recreation centres, fitness centres, gymnasiums and pools will reopen on Monday, Dec.21.
Please call your local recreation centre for more information."

If these rules are in place, I feel sure that the gathering of 2 or three people at Shannon would not contravene the regulations.
I have been flying at Shannon twice in the past two weeks, once with two of us and another with three of us. This was outside our normal HEFA flying time so as to avoid any possible gathering.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:57 pm

We are in discussions on this now. Stay tuned.

Definitely some interpretation of the rules and we are all absolutely trying to follow the requirements, to be safe for ourselves / members / families, and to prevent the spread of this virus...!

Brian

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:35 am

I wait with bated breath! It's been unacceptably long since I have done any flying!
I appreciate that the club has to cover all bases, but it is frustrating how wide a net is being cast; I would venture that few activities offer as good an opportunity as ours does to enjoy and stay safely distant (as long as we avoid close-in conspiratorial whispers).

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:04 pm

This should be a quick update to our members. We recognize that everyone is "itching" to get back to flying and in a safe and trouble-free manner. This is a summary of where we are at the moment through these investigations.

We've lucked in with a rep from the NS Government who has been very helpful in helping to interpret the newest rules and requirements. Unfortunately, the whole matter is not as straight-forward as we'd like. I would think that if one group can meet (say sports or performing arts to 25 people or perhaps outdoor fitness to 100% capacity) then these would be good guidelines for HEFA. The clarification has been made that these exemptions are limited to ONLY these specific applications. So really, our flying does not fit into any of the exemptions which complicates matters... and ultimately everything is open to interpretation which further complicates the path forward.

We all want to be safe for ourselves, our families and for the greater community. We are being careful as we advance as there are possible significant fines for individuals and even for our club, not to mention bad PR in the face of this pandemic.

This is what I am understanding at this moment:
  • As of today (December 19) we remain limited by the HRM restrictions. At first we understood that no gatherings were permitted - and this is absolutely still the best scenario - but now our understanding is that the OVERALL gathering is limited to 5 people. That is 5 in total adding up those in the pits and those on the flight line. We cannot count these as two separate areas. Is is rather restricting to maintain these limited numbers and certainly a visitor could be very problematic as they would add to the figures. Again - NO MORE THAN 5 PEOPLE TOTAL at the fields are permitted.
  • As of December 21, with the current guidelines, we would be limited to 10 people in TOTAL. I believe that is consistent with the indoor gatherings in your home.
  • As of December 21, with the current guidelines, we can increase to 25 people in TOTAL through the preparation of a "Return to Flying" guide to support our club and to demonstrate planning and awareness. There are a few main elements of this guideline (many items are at https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/docs/ ... elines.pdf) including the following points:
    • Screening / Consideration for illness. Members cannot participate in club activities if they, or a member of their household, have COVID symptoms, are self-isolating, presumptively have COVID, etc.
    • Traceability. Some way of identifying who might be at the field. I am thinking here that an email to our entire membership - we're not a lot of people and participation especially now is fairly low - and that this would work. The alternative could be a sign-up sheet or an email to our general account.
    • Communications. How we will inform our members.
We've prepared a DRAFT "Return to Flying Guideline" and this is currently sitting with our HEFA Executive for review and comments.

Stay tuned. We are continuing to work on your behalf for the safe return of flying at our fields.

Brian

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:24 am

We recognize that everyone is ready to participate again in this hobby that we enjoy so much. We also recognize that we need to do this with safety in the forefront and to demonstrate that we take the careful requirements for "Return to Flying" seriously.

It is with those points in mind that I share with you the current version of our "Return to Flying" plan. We believe that it hits on the major points as required by organizations such as ourselves and meets the requirements for communication, traceability, pre-screening, etc.

We've submitted this for comment from a Nova Scotia government organization.

One "interesting" item is traceability. Many organizations require a sign-in sheet with date/time and contact information. This is intended to help isolate those members who might have been in contact with a presumptive exposure at their location(s). Given the small size of our membership, we're recommending an email to all members should there be a possible exposure, rather than a tracking for each person at the fields.

But it is imperative that we are all aware of the requirements as listed and which could change from time to time as we sort our way through this pandemic. Have a look and feel free to email me at HalifaxElectricFlyers@outlook.com should you have any comments or concerns.

We are optimistic that we will be once again at SP. I believe that school is finished on December 22 which will also open the door to more morning flying....! Let's make this happen guys!

PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT THIS PDF HAS BEEN SUPERSEDED. KEPT FOR RECORD BUT THE NEW VERSION FURTHER IN THIS THREAD SHOULD BE REFERENCED / USED.

Brian
Attachments
COVID Return to Flying_v4a.pdf
Return to Flying - COVID-19
(543.76 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Last edited by bdg on Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:17 am

This seems reasonable and clarifies the situation.
Thanks Brian.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:27 pm

Thanks John.

We've been trying to keep the "Return to Flying" as simple as possible but have some feedback from the Government agency that our traceability section might not be quite up to par. Tracking of people actually at our fields will help in any Public Health investigations, in the unlikely event of COVID through HEFA. Therefore, there are some adjustments intended to demonstrate our compliance in this regard and that is one of emailing our general account that you are at a field. This should be simple and straight-forward with minimal effort required of our members. There can be some challenges as we do not have a "front desk" and the like as would be typical for a building establishment.

This section below replaces the previous traceability requirements.
Capture_Traceability.JPG
Brian

PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT THIS PDF HAS BEEN SUPERSEDED. KEPT FOR RECORD BUT THE NEW VERSION FURTHER IN THIS THREAD SHOULD BE REFERENCED / USED.
Attachments
COVID Return to Flying_v5.pdf
(544.4 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Last edited by bdg on Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.