2019 Porters Lake Ice Fly

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
CF Av8or

Re: 2019 Porters Lake Ice Fly

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:51 pm

Well, it looks like I missed THE best opportunity to hold the Ice Fly today. It most certainly was perfect weather (nearly zero wind and sunny, warm temps) and good ice conditions, even at the lake edge. Unfortunately, a number of things have conspired to make it impossible to make it happen this weekend.

The first was the tremendous amount of work that Mary and I have had to do to complete the last of the requirements for occupancy approval at our new house, plus the last minute discovery of a renter for our old home on Crowell Rd. We have to completely empty the old house of 33 years of accumulation and fully clean it before the middle of February. As such, the house is currently still a certified disaster zone.

The second is that my 4-day long bout with a nasty cold or flu just started to break last night, and although I have had to continue work on the move in spite of this, I was in no condition to prepare for and host an event. Not to mention not wanting to infect anyone else.

The third is the poor forecasting for Sunday which initially had the wind expected to be strong, plus the fact that on Friday there was open water at the edge of the lake. This ultimately closed up by Sunday, but to be on the safe side, I would need to place a ramp to bridge the first couple of feet out to thick ice. Quite doable, but given the first two points, was beyond my capacity this weekend.

Anyway, I felt that I needed to apologize and explain how I missed such a great day for the Ice Fly, especially as there are only the next two weekends for me to potentially hold it, as I will be out of town for a month after that.

I hope everyone had a good day of flying at Shannon and enjoyed the nice winter reprieve. I should be in a better position to hold the Ice Fly next weekend (or the one following), if the conditions permit. If not, well, I guess it just wasn't meant to be again this year...

Cheers,
Vic

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:07 pm

Skunked again this weekend it would appear. Snow tomorrow and high winds both Saturday and Sunday. Probably just as well for Mary and I, as we still have lots of work to do on the old house.

Next weekend will be the last chance for us to host the event, unfortunately. Let's see what the weather gods bring us...

Thanks,
Vic

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:44 am

Well, this weekend was our last chance to hold the Porters Lake Ice Fly this year, and....a shut-down by the weather, unfortunately.

Winds all weekend are forecast to be 35 to 40 kts. Add that to the cold temperatures, and we'll all be staying safely indoors.

Sorry folks, I tried, but weather, ice conditions, and other personal responsibilities conspired against a suitable weekend date for the event. I'd like to say we'll try again next year, but I likely (hopefully) won't have the house on Porters Lake by then.

I hope to see you indoors at Shearwater, at the Valley Gathering in March, or on the field this summer.

Cheers,
Vic

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:53 am

Thanks for all you do Vic! Your presence and input in the local modeling community is greatly appreciated! And Mary's as well!!

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:04 pm

Al says it best! Thanks for hosting this in the past... and for other activities!

Brian

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:36 pm

Thanks for your kind words guys.

Cheers,
Vic