2016 Lawrencetown Slope Fest - 20 August

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
CF Av8or

Re: 2016 Lawrencetown Slope Fest - 20 August

Unread post by CF Av8or » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:22 pm

That's great John! The more, the merrier!

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:42 pm

A heads-up about parking for the Slope Fest.

There will be little or no parking available in the tiny lot that is closest to the slope (top of the hill, just past the Heron's Nest Tea Room). A portion of this lot is used by Happy Dudes Surf Rentals to park their cube van to conduct surf equipment rentals and provide some temporary parking for their customers. This leaves about half the lot available to us, which amounts to about 3 parking spaces. I intend to park my truck here, as Mary and I will need to bring in a lot of food and cooking equipment (plus signs, planes, etc) for the event. I have come to an agreement with the owner of Happy Dudes that we flyers would leave him enough space to conduct his business.

The next nearest parking lot is at the Heron's Nest Tea Room and Kannon Beach Surf Shop, but this is designated for customers only, and as such, we should not park there.

The intention for the event is to have participants use either of the above parking lots to unload their planes and gear, then move their car to another parking area for the day. There are two other available parking areas: Stoney Beach parking lot (just west of the Lawrencetown Headland), and the Lawrencetown Beach parking lots (just east of the Lawrencetown Headland), which will both be designated with signs for the event. You would then need to walk up to the slope from there.

The shoulder of the road (Hwy 207) on the headland is signed as "No Parking". It is not always enforced, so you might want to give this a try, but I would suggest that this be done at your own risk. At the very least, you should ensure that your vehicle is parked completely off the pavement and not interfering with road traffic. No guarantees that you won't be ticketed.

I wish that there were better/bigger parking facilities right at the slope, but unfortunately, that's the way it is.

I sincerely request that all participants abide by the above parking recommendations so that we don't jeopardize our continued use of the area for future events.

Thanks,
Vic

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:21 pm

A week or so I parked in our usual spot. there was only one other car there (a paraglider). The guy on the surfers truck asked me to move. I refused as although he may have a permit to park his truck there he has no authority to prevent others from parking. We have parked there for many years without interfering with the surfer truck and always maintained good relations with them. I will continue to park there with due respect for their needs but will not be browbeaten by them.
I fully agree that for our Fly-in we should keep our parking near the truck to an absolute minimum.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:30 pm

I agree that THIS is the sentence by which we all should abide by for this event, as there will likely be a large number of participants...
.."the intention for the event is to have participants use either of the above parking lots to unload their planes and gear, then move their car to another parking area for the day."

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:51 pm

So I'm wondering if the "HEFA Canopy" would be welcomed on what could be a very warm day...I'll need to see a good representation of HEFA members to include it, along with four members to erect and tear down..

Bill, John O, Andrew C, Andrew S, John W, Tom B, Louie B, Trevor F, Steve R, ...and another, and another, and another...ok, it's a go..!

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Scooterboy

Unread post by Scooterboy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:21 am

I have to say I am really looking forward to this get together, it's always a great time.
I just checked Environment Canada, and it says light SW for Saturday. The slope at Lawrencetown usually has stronger winds.

Power flyers that haven't got a glider......take the prop off, tape a bit of weight on, and give it a go.

Thanks to Vic & Mary for hosting this!
Kevin

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:56 pm

Gents I was informed late this afternoon my weekend had already been planned for me. Somehow I missed the memo. However as such demands are rare I have to comply, so would someone please take a few photos for the MAAC newsletter for me. Thanks in advance!

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:15 pm

Al, sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it, but I'll make sure Mary gets some good photos.

Cheers,
Vic

CF Av8or

Unread post by CF Av8or » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:33 am

The wind is currently light from the north, but as things warm up this morning, I expect it to switch onshore with the seabreeze by late this morning.

I would say, get your power flying fix in first thing this morning and plan to do some sloping afterwards.

See you at the slope!

Vic

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Good time today..around 25 flyers, lots to eat, thanks Mary and Vic..!
Not the perfect wind direction, but you handle what your dealt..and you don't complain..!

Some pics attached here,

Bill
Attachments
IMG_5796.JPG
IMG_5786.JPG
IMG_5785.JPG
IMG_5795.JPG
IMG_5797.JPG
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708