stadium at Shannon

News related to Halifax Electric Flyers Association only.
retiredVTT

Re: stadium at Shannon

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:00 pm

Dartmouth Councillor makes motion to SACK further debate on the Stadium proposal on Tuesday's (Oct 8/19) Council meeting...!

https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2019/10 ... ontent=a03
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:10 pm

Well, the "above mentioned motion" regarding "Sacking" the stadium proposal ....was defeated by a close vote.

https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/local-news/ ... aign=Email
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:50 pm

Let's face it, whether the proposal is canned now or later does not matter. In fairness, hopefully a proper evaluation will take place in time. Whether it becomes a stadium or a totally protected sanctuary for homeless seals, we are going to lose it anyway. At least they will be able to say that back in the day there used to be thousands of model airplanes circling over this area.
It is an extremely valuable piece of real estate, and I hope that HRM make a wise decision on the future of the land. I personally do not believe a stadium is the answer.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:38 pm

Final decision in roughly 5 or 6 weeks...

Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:19 pm

The end is near(er) regarding the final decision by Council on the viability of a Shannon Park Stadium..

https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2019/12 ... ontent=a03
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:30 pm

Thank goodness the city is approaching this item in a realistic fiscal manner rather than getting all worked up on a pipe dream.
When all is said and done we are going to lose our field whatever the use. It is a very valuable piece of land and its future should be very carefully evaluated. How many cities in Canada have an area within the city of such a size and potential for development.
I don't think a stadium of the proposed size is a proper use of the land. I think that making a stadium is about as realistic as making it a permanent model flying field, although that would please me very much.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:00 am

I feel the CFL should be embarrassed and ashamed of their support for the football stadium and a team in Nova Scotia. The CFL spent more on their self congratulatory full page advert in the Chronicle Herald after the ill-fated game in Moncton, than they did on advertising the game taking place. The CFL is supporting the potential franchise in hopes that another financial jurisdiction, (NS Taxpayers) will be suckered into subsidizing a team. Any team has to pay fees to the CFL. So the more teams there are, the more the subsidies, the more the CFL gets.

When major cities, with much higher incomes and much higher population cannot support a CFL team, it is the height of folly to believe that a team in NS would be anything but a burden to taxpayers. So make your feelings clear to your Municipal and Provincial representative. If any MLA or City Councillor gets 10 calls on any issue, they are impressed.

Having said all that, maybe the availability of the field at Leon's should be reevaluated. They installed rugby goals there some years ago, but I have yet to see any sports activity there. The ball field is used some evenings and weekends during the ball season. The rest of the time the field is unused. After Thanksgiving the field remains unused until sometime in May or June.

Alternatively, there are other fields around metro, albeit maybe not as convenient as Shannon Park.

Canada Lands sold the Shannon Park School and the land it sits on for $340,000 to the school board. Maybe they would consider a similar offer for the rest of the field. Anyone feeling flush with funds?
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:40 pm

I received this email from Canada Lands today. It's their Winter 2019 update, released after the HRM decision Tuesday night to recommend another location for the proposed Stadium complex.

Bill

To follow-up our summer newsletter, dated August 29, we are pleased to provide the following update on our development plans for Shannon Park.

On Tuesday, December 10, the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) Council supported the HRM staff recommendation to continue to pursue a community stadium but at a location other than Shannon Park.

Given Regional Council’s decision, Canada Lands looks forward to working with HRM staff toward approval of the original master plan for Shannon Park that was developed with significant public engagement and submitted to the municipality in 2016.

Canada Lands Company and the Millbrook First Nation continue to work collaboratively to develop our adjacent properties at Shannon Park.

We offer HRM and Schooner Sports and Entertainment our best wishes in their efforts to build a community stadium in Halifax.

Canada Lands will continue to keep you informed as the development process for Shannon Park continues.
[/
i]
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

waxman

Unread post by waxman » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:09 pm

John Liddard

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:14 pm

waxman wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:09 pm
This today from Halifax Today.

I read this report and I'm MORE optimistic about getting a lease for ALL of 2020...! A number of planning items would need to come together quickly to change my optimism. Fingers crossed..!
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708