MAAC Financial Statement

Model Aeronautics Association of Canada
retiredVTT

MAAC Financial Statement

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:54 pm

I received my Feb 2010 Model Aviation magazine from MAAC today and see a request on page 17 for a fee increase for 2011 due to dwinding revenue and increasing expenditures. A proposal by the Manitoba Zone for a $10.00 increase per "open membership" has been put forth for consideration at the 2010 MAAC AGM.

However, when I look at the yearly expenses over the past several years, shown on page 23, I have to wonder what took place in 2009 that resulted in a figure of $797,000 when in the previous years this figure was $690,000; $656,000; $643,000; and $604,000.

Looking further into the list of expenses for 2009, on page 20, I can account for $100,000 in additional expenses over 2008, by looking at six particular categories. There are at least two categories that raise the eyebrows a bit...one is "cost of sales" with an increase of $12,000 over 2008 and the other is "special projects" with a figure of $40,478.00 which was not present in 2008.

I am certainly not against raising the dues when it's required. I just like to know that it is indeed required before seeing it implemented.

I would hope that more info would be released on the $107,000 increase in expenditures for 2009 over 2008, before asking the members to vote for a dues increase.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

saboo

Re: MAAC Financial Statement

Unread post by saboo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:50 am

I agree Bill. My dealings when trying to buy MAAC items in the past, demonstrated that they were not very professionally run. An increase of that size over one year is in my mind someone spending out of control. I too would like to see where it came from. The 12,000 increase in cost of goods sold would be fine if there was an increase in sales of 15-20,000. That would mean they sold more and it cost them to buy the items. if there was not a sales increase then they failed to raise prices to reflect added costs of goods sold. Again an example of poor controls.

Either way, before allowing this there should be very close scrutiny of their spending of our money.

Saboo
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Well, I have not stired up a hornet's nest on this forum with my above post about the increase in MAAC expenses between '08 and '09 but when I posted the same info on RC Canada I appear to have opened a pandora's box, however the comments are all over the map.....check it out, I still don't have much of an answer...yet!

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=101470

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Enforcer

Unread post by Enforcer » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:27 am

Hornet's nest + stick + Bill = Trouble!!! :lol:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think the recent (local) MLA fiasco has desensitized me to poor judgment in spending practices by folks in power!
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:22 pm

Today I received a PM from MAAC President Barlow that satisfied me with regard to the '09 expense increase.
I have asked him for permission to share his reply with you all...and when confirmd I will do so.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:22 pm

..as promised, this is the reply I received today regarding my question of the larger than normal increase in MAAC expenditures for 2009.

Bill

---Quote (Originally by Richard Lyle Barlow)---
Good Morning,

I will be in Moncton NB for an indoor event on 13/14th March. Is there any chance you will be there? I would be happy to talk to you and to any other MAAC member who wants facts.

Steve Hughes, the BC ZD, has done an excellent job of trying to explain why our expenditures increased last year. The major, and needed, overhauls of both the website and the office database are ongoing, but the bulk of the expenditures will be paid by the end of this year. Both projects are long and involved. A lot of cash is being infused but the long term objective is greater efficiency at lower operating cost.

There are questions being asked involving the Gimli Fun fly and charity money raiser. MAAC is not paying for the Gimli event. We act as their bankers, receiving profits and providing seed money. The money is all theirs. Due to the size of the event, they prefer to pass all moneys through MAAC channels to ensure legitimacy.

Two other factors not mentioned are that firstly, the number of members paying by Visa has increased dramatically - so that was an extra $8,000 expense this year over last. The other is that our dues are taxes included. Harmonizing federal GST with the provincial taxes takes another big chunk.

The recommendation to raise the dues was just that - a recommendation. Dues increases require a resolution to be PASSED at an AZM which then goes to the following AGM where it will be debated in depth. If it passes there, it goes into effect the following year. So to the "Chicken Littles" who keep asking if it can be "rolled back" - it does not exist right now. The earliest possible increase is for 2012. In all honesty, we may have to consider a raise then, but we will cross that bridge nearer to the time.

It is sad that, where MAAC business is concerned, the forums consist of the uninformed giving misleading information to the equally uninformed whilst the fires are fed by trouble making trolls in so many cases. This is why I never post on Forums, but do PM those who clearly want to know facts. If I post, everything I say is twisted and taken out of context by the malevolent types.

Forums serve a useful purpose for the distribution of non-political data, but the directors of MAAC, who are just modellers like yourself, groan at most of what they see. They often wonder why they keep trying to run MAAC honestly and efficiently. Volunteers for the ZD job are thin on the ground. Over 90% of elections are acclamations.

My phone number is posted on the web and in the magazine. It is interesting that it is not used more often.

This is no criticism of you, as I can see that you are trying to understand in a rational manner. I thank you for the opportunity to clear some rather turbulent air.

Feel free to share this information, and encourage those with questions to call their ZD or me.

Cheers

Richard
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708