Sad day for Model Flyers

Model Aeronautics Association of Canada
JohnOSullivan

Re: Sad day for Model Flyers

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:20 pm

Do you think that after 73 years of incident free model aircraft flying an irrelevant full size aircraft TC questionnaire is necessary for my next 73 years?
Model flying used to be about flying models. Now, models don't even enter into the picture in this era of political Daddy Cow's Kaka.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

Lexflyer2022

Unread post by Lexflyer2022 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:20 am

Hello my fellow aviators,
I have just sent Prime Minister Justin Trudeau my thoughts on this matter and I am in the process of contacting my local member of Parliament Darrell Samson and the Honourable Minister of Transportation Omar Alghabra, emails to discuss Transport Canada's narrow minded, military style decisions. The punishment of all for the recklessness of the one or few.
This is a democracy the last time I looked and not a dictatorship!
I do hope that all model RC Aviators do the same.

Cheers all,
Michael aka Crash Gordon

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:27 pm

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=175

Wow......RCCanada just blew up with 10 new Forums concerning the MAAC/Transport Canada "incident'"..!
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

RocketManRC

Unread post by RocketManRC » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:06 pm

I think this YouTube video is worth watching and the previous one too if you have the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99gp4tzbi8c

(disclaimer: I don't particularly like his approach but his last two videos resonated with me and I subscribed to his channel)

I went to the Transport Canada public meeting a number of years ago where they were supposedly getting feedback about the new regulations they were considering. One of the many things that I found disturbing about the meeting was that they refused to even discuss differentiating traditional model aircraft from drones. Apparently this has been the case world wide!

May we live in interesting times!
Rick MacDonald
May you live in interesting times!

Lexflyer2022

Unread post by Lexflyer2022 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:53 am

Found that guy yesterday and just watched the link you added Rick. Thanks for that. I too have subscribed.
Just when I didn't think it would happen I see that the USA has one upped us Canucks.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:24 pm

Wow..that was a lot of pages to print off today, (the email sent out by MAAC ZDB Cato); especially the TC Manual,. must be 50 pages at least.
Anyway, here is my reply to Cato, and his email timing was perfect...!

Hi Cato,

Your timing with the sending of the TC info could not of been more perfect...!!

Last evening I was online and decided to take the "Basic Drone Exam". What could be hard about this, Eh? I've been flying RC fo over 30 years, should be a snap..!  Well I FAILED..with just a mark of 45% correct. Then I saw the offer to retake the exam within 24 hours at no additional cost and thought I should brush up today and retake the test.

So I appreciate receiving the info you sent ..and will review it all, and hope that my 82 year old brain will absorb enough to allow me to proceed favorably with future TC tests. (this will take longer than 24 hours..!)

It is too bad that we as MAAC members wound up in this predictament, but hopefully it will all work out and the safety of all will be maintained.

So thanks for the material, and thanks for all your efforts,

Bill Foster
MAAC 13708....(about to renew for 2023)
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

hueydriver

Unread post by hueydriver » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:39 pm

On the RC Canada forum, it was disclosed that freeflight and control line are exempt from all this crap, so back to work on a Dare rubber powered Strutter! Oddly, add simple, low powered r/c equipment to keep the model within the soccer field would then require the "license" to fly it. 425 of line for a delta kite outside of controlled airspace? No problem. A stunning turn of events after a lifetime in this hobby. Horribly handled til now. Let's see if they can pull the rabbit out of the hat by flying season.

MGC

Unread post by MGC » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:55 pm

Well, I took a crack at the basic test and passed. At least that part is done, but looking at everything, we need to keep a flight and maintaince log for all our registered aircraft, along with having our pilot certificate. 5 bucks a pop to register your aircraft too. Looking at my hanger, that's gona cost a few bucks... lol. Also, no flying if you had a drink the night before (you must wait 12 hours after your last drink before you can fly again) and if you use cannabis, recreational or medicinally, you have to wait 28 days before you can fly again. I got into this hobby to relax and enjoy the beauty of flight. Now it's just paperwork :roll:

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:39 pm

You also have to have the manual and operating instructions for the models and equipment you're using on hand as well as normal and emergency operating procedures available if needed. I think you even need a fire extinguisher, but that's a good idea anyway. Going to need a big box for all the extras.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:07 am

This link should (might) bring up a video that Alan posted over on the SRCF site which details what to study in order to pass the Basic Drone Pilot Test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut44cLyXWLk&t=308s
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708