Sad day for Model Flyers

Model Aeronautics Association of Canada
saboo

Sad day for Model Flyers

Unread post by saboo » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:24 pm

Hello Everyone.

A new reality has come about over the last 24 hours. With MAAC no longer having an exemption from Transport Canada of any sort, and very little chance of there becoming one, it is time for everyone to write and pass the various TC exams.

To that end, has anyone obtained or prepared study materials for the 2 exams that are relevant?

Is there any plan for clubs or possibly MAAC, to prepare or organize in person or online training sessions? I have in the past suggested and urged MAAC to start this at the Zone level. It seems that it has not happened.

So now it is up to us, the various MAAC members and non-Members, to come up with the materials to ensure that all flyers can write and pass the tests. Anyone have suggestions?

Regards to all

Jim Haliburton
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

the-mailman

Re: Sad day for Model Flyers

Unread post by the-mailman » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:33 pm

Well that's disappointing. It seems like a harsh and over the top punishment for a couple of overlooked flying sites, unless there's more trouble than MAAC is disclosing. Members have been flying safe for years. It makes no sense to me that TC and MAAC couldn't resolve this with a better result.

Hopefully MACC will put together a course as the material covered is more like getting your actual pilots license.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:50 am

quote ... "A new reality has come about over the last 24 hours."

Really...Was there another email on the weekend? Did not receive one, maybe because I have not renewed..................yet!
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

saboo

Unread post by saboo » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:06 am

Hello Bill and others.

Attached is the document sent by MAAC to members this past week. Likely those who have yet to renew their MAAC membership, were not contacted.

Effectively it makes absolutely clear that anyone wishing to fly RPAS in Canada must have passed a Transport Canada test to engage in Model Aviation in Canada. MAAC members no longer have an exemption of any kind.

The only option I see is to object to this behavior by Transport Canada is to write clear polite letters to the Minister and your local MP expressing your views.

In the meantime, the details are in the attached PDF.

As someone who has engaged in model aviation for over 60 years, I am upset, angry, and disappointed.

Regards

Jim Haliburton
Attachments
MAAC Loss of Exemption.pdf
(400.11 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
Nothing like the smell of electrons in the morning ;-)

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:57 pm

Thanks Jim for your postings .....and don't be angry, be your usual cheerful self..!!

Remember the song..."what ever will be,,,,will be"

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

the-mailman

Unread post by the-mailman » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:19 pm

I was reluctant to renew my MAAC until this issue was resolved, but now I will not renew until I pass the test. At my age studying and exams do not come easy so my outdoor flying may be over. Since this was MAAC's blunder they should reduce the membership fees to cover the first attempt at the exam. Right now I'm not very happy with MAAC or TC.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:58 pm

:evil: Another real negative about this is that the basic RPAS license only allows flying up to 400ft, which effectively neuters all sailplane and turbine operation, period.
Canada is leading the world in unnecessary Regulation it seems.

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:59 pm

The MAAC exemption was a very constructive approach to successful continuation of model flying and it is a very sad occasion to see it vanish into thin air.
It looks like a couple or more rogue Zone Directors issued flying permits within restricted areas without overall MAAC directors approval. This got beaurocRATS annoyed and they responded as they normally do by shutting things down. (You are never wrong by saying NO)
The trouble is that this hits all of those who are operating within the regulations.

It is difficult to assign blame but MAAC board of Directors were deficient in not monitoring the situation. There are calls for firing all the directors, but this would not solve anything as the vast majority are very dedicated and have the interest of the fliers at heart. The Board knows who these mavericks are and it is time to do some weeding.
It is to be hoped that MAAC and TC can cool off, discuss the situation and resume negotiations in righting the situation.
A key factor in any renewal is a basic separation of the DRONE and MODEL AIRPLANE designations and create separate regulations for both categories. This will be a hard sell on TC but it is obvious that the two categories are vastly different.
Failing this MAAC IS DEAD and gone forever.
As MAAC fully supportive member since 1967 I may be about to change my mind.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:19 pm

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=175

Some additional chatter on this RCCanada forum.

Also, info on what test is required, how to take the test, the cost of the test, info on Registering EACH model, carrying your documentation with you, etc,etc, etc.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:51 pm

Someone on RCCanada made a good point when they pointed out we have different licenses for non-restricted and restricted firearms, for cars, trucks, busses, and motorcycles. Why then are model airplanes, which have been safely flying our skies for many many decades, regulated in the same breath as gps drones a rank amateur can can fly 10km away within hours of buying the drone from BestBuy?