November MAAC newsletter

Model Aeronautics Association of Canada
astroflyer

November MAAC newsletter

Unread post by astroflyer » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:47 pm

Gents, I have just uploaded the November MAAC newsletter. Quite a number of photos and info in this issue again this month. Enjoy. You can download it here:

https://www.asrcm.ns.ca/newsletters/202 ... letter.pdf

the-mailman

Re: November MAAC newsletter

Unread post by the-mailman » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:31 pm

My 15 seconds of fame. My Apprentice repair made the newsletter. Such a surprise. Great newsletter as always.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:40 pm

Have you all seen the new MAAC letter outlining changes they will be making?
It appears that MAAC will be implementing a mandatory "pilot training programme" outside of their "wings" designations and all pilots will have to pass whatever the test turns out to be.

Then there's an ominous warning of "much more to come"!

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:07 pm

Josh,

The "student" and "pilot" designations are not new but the process is certainly different. The intent is to make sure that the new MAAC member is capable and knows how to control their plane, safety rules, etc. I've had people come to me in the past and indicate that they had joined MAAC and therefore were good to go. It is not that simple. Like a graduated car license, you need to start with the application and then move into the practical. That is the intent. New members are designated as "students" and can only be updated to a "pilot" by someone qualified to do so. Much of this is outlined in MAAC document MSD25. See https://secure.maac.ca/get_document.php?document_id=590

From MSD25:
The new process is intended to be simple: a basic knowledge confirmation of MAAC safety code and rules, airspace and aerodrome issues, and anything else the Club/Instructor deems appropriate, and a basic flying demonstration that you can get whatever is your preferred type of flying machine off the ground, fly it around, and land it in a controlled fashion in the appropriate area.

It was always intended that those who cannot pass the basic competency demonstration would receive additional instruction. Ultimately and unfortunately, if someone still cannot meet this most basic standard, they should not be flying – not at a Club and not alone – until they can meet the basic standard. The new rules are for public safety, which must trump all other concerns.
I've updated the MAAC status for a few people. We're all reasonable - easy stuff!

Brian