New Superfly

Got a picture or video you would like to share with other members?
lawndart

New Superfly

Unread post by lawndart » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:40 pm

For posterity I thought I should post a picture of my new Superfly, just off the workbench, and in as good shape as it's ever going to be, before I smash the crap out of it on Shannon Park field. Repeatedly.

Some have advised to go light on the paint to save weight but I couldn't do it. I did do some reading, though, and believe the paint doesn't add much more than 20 grams or so, which I can live with. I used Krylon general purpose paint for the works, and did the roundels with home-made stencils. The paint scheme isn't based on any particular real plane -- I really wanted desert camo but also like the orangy-red and black RCAF colours from the 50's and 60's, so it's kind of a hybrid of the two. It's mine and I can do what I like.

The hardware on it is an experiment. The motor is a TowerPro 2409-12 (1600kv/25A) rather than the stock 2408-21. I'm using a standard-size HK 2.4Ghz 6ch Rx, with the satellite module de-cased and buried in the foam near the port vertical stab (you can see its outline in the picture). The servos are 14g metal gear Hextronik MG-14's, and the prop on it right now is an APC 8x4. Was planning to try bigger props with the high-output motor but my ammeter read 32A on a 3S with a Master Airscrew 8x5, and considerably more in a burst with an APC 8x6, so I think I'm somewhat limited.

I followed Rocketman Rick's good advice throughout, although rather than hinging with Blenderm I used Durapore, a fabric surgical tape also from 3M. It was handy. As Rick suggested I prepped the foam with Super77 spray adhesive before putting the tape on and it seems to be adhering well. The canopy is split and attached with rare earth magnets; the battery is retained in a carved-out channel with a velcro strap. A carbon fibre rod is embedded in the underside, almost tip to tip, for rigidity.

Can't wait to maiden the thing. Maybe Hurricane Bill will be late to the party Sunday...?
------d-a-v-e---------------- >}-

yorcram

Re: New Superfly

Unread post by yorcram » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:48 pm

Looks good. Now you have something to go crazy with... just let me know so I can get out of your's and ric's way ;)
Plane Crazey :D

Enforcer

Re: New Superfly

Unread post by Enforcer » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:49 pm

Niccccceeee Paint Job Dave! Very cool!
Murray Wheten

“My philosophy, like color television, is all there in black and white”
Monty Python