Weekend - May 14/15, 2022

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
bdg

Weekend - May 14/15, 2022

Unread post by bdg » Sun May 15, 2022 8:44 pm

Well.... Saturday was incredible. Warm temperatures. Mostly light winds. Lots of laughs and smiles. Lots of good flying too!

Good maiden of a Habu from Bill. A few issues with 6S and the rudder moving all the way to the end of travel... not good. Hopefully that will be resolved with help from HH. There was also an issue with LVC but Bill might have a solution for that one! Bill - Please keep us informed!!

Next weekend is the LONGGGG weekend! Monday is Victoria Day and a holiday for many. Let's hope for good weather!

Brian
Attachments
IMG_3741.jpg
IMG_3740.jpg
IMG_3739.jpg

retiredVTT

Re: Weekend - May 14/15, 2022

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun May 15, 2022 9:18 pm

The Habu SS flew well on 5S, but problems occurred when I tried it on 6S. (it's designed to run on 4S, 5S or 6S). With a 6S pack (I tried TWO different packs..both new), when the throttle was opened fully, the rudder would swing hard over to the right.

I have read in an RCGroups Habu thread that the Avian ESC has a low cutoff voltage set at 3.4 volts per cell which is too high. Flyers are reprogramming the ESC and "Disabling" the low voltage cutoff feature. They feel it's better to lose a lipo pack than lose the entire plane. I would think that a 6S pack is going to drop to under 20.4 volts very quickly when full throttle is applied. This may not solve the rudder movement that occurs at full throttle on 6S, so there might be other problems.

LATER EDIT: (5/16/22)

So......we are definitely making progress with the help of "SnoRiver" on RCGroups website..!
RCGroups is proving to be the place to bring your RC problems..!

To recap: My Habu did it's maiden flight using a 5S pack ...no problems. On the next flight I ran a new 6S pack and on full throttle the rudder went to full right, so I aborted.

As suggested in a previous post and after watching the Avian ESC programming video "several times" I reprogrammed the ESC in two parameters.
I "disabled" the "low voltage cutoff" and I also changed the "timing" from 15 to 5 because this should lower the ESC operating temperature.

Now when I bench test with a 6S pack there is no rudder movement. There is an alarm going off indicating that the pack is not liking the amp draw it is delivering. So I guess I cannot skimp when buying 6S packs ...(darn!)

I cannot completely explain WHY this rudder problem has gone away, but I consider this to be a step in the right direction..!

Further testing to be done..

Bill
Last edited by retiredVTT on Mon May 16, 2022 3:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

the-mailman

Re: Weekend - May 14/15, 2022

Unread post by the-mailman » Mon May 16, 2022 9:17 am

Sunday was pretty good too. Rick and I flew several flights. Wind was low when I arrived, but picked up a bit after 9. Even though the streets were wet in Bedford. there were no sign of rain in Dartmouth.
MAAC: 19887

I never crash, I just create exciting ways to meet the ground. After all, take-offs are desirable, landings are inevitable.