Feb 6th Flying

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
Road507

Feb 6th Flying

Unread post by Road507 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:59 pm

I braved the cold today to get a few flights in on the Timber X with floats and the new OMP M2 heli. The field is one sheet of ice along with the parking lot so made it easy to take-off and land with floats. I do have one question what do you guys coat the bottom of your floats with to prevent the road rash from the ice and hard packed snow?

If anyone is in the market for a new Heli I can highly recommend the OMP M2. This thing was rock solid even in the high winds this morning. I have to say it is every bit equal to my Trex 500 that was triple the price. I am amaze how well this thing flies given the small size. You have to love the new self level technology going into Heli's these days!!!

Rhoady

retiredVTT

Re: Feb 6th Flying

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:34 pm

Hi Rhoady, ...the most durable protection for floats is probably an application of 3/4 ounce fiberglas cloth and resin; however for a quickie job I would suggest the purchase of a pkg of super thick clear stick on adhesive sheets that MSC sell for their RC car bodies that take a pounding when raced. I have used these for anything that has to "belly-land",

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:46 pm

I've been using Gorilla Clear Repair Tape on my sailplane noses and have been surprised at how it has lasted for years without any peeling or showing any signs of wear. It is thicker than regular tape, but blends well around compound curves.
As a long time dedicated user of fibreglass and other composites I would suggest that the Gorilla tape is slicker and more durable than glassed light cloth, which I found will wear out quicker. Light Kevlar at 2 oz/sq. yd. is much more abrasion resistant and would work well.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:38 pm

Rhoady - Good for you for getting out this morning! Talk about cold! Good to hear that all went well.

Some good ideas with protection. I have used fiberglass tape… essentially a white / clear tape (2” wide consistent with packaging tape) but with fiberglass strands running in a grid pattern.something like this:
49D8BBFE-89A1-4FE1-9C24-AA91CFDDC096.jpeg
Nice report on the heli too…..!

Brian

Road507

Unread post by Road507 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:43 am

Thank you everyone for the tips. I just coated the bottoms of the floats with thinned epoxy to hold the foam together and I will apply the tape over the epoxy for added protection. At least with the tape I can reapply if it peels or wears out.

Rhoady