Winter Sloping at Lawrencetown?

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
DoverSail

Winter Sloping at Lawrencetown?

Unread post by DoverSail » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:32 pm

I am wondering if there has historically been any sloping action at Lawrencetown in the colder months. It seems that it is perpetually windy these days, but perhaps with the addition of a hot thermos full of tea, this could redound to our advantage.

So, what’s the scoop?

retiredVTT

Re: Winter Sloping at Lawrencetown?

Unread post by retiredVTT » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:52 pm

Good question .......the important thing about sloping ...WIND DIRECTION ...and at Lawrencetown Beach ...that means SouthWest ...I believe.

I would think you will hear more from our resident expert on this condition shortly; also I can't imagine it would be very comfortable standing on a bluff in any sort of Winter temperature , with a 20Km wind blowing directly into your face..!
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:16 pm

Yes indeed ----- sloping at Lawrencetown is a possibility during winter months, but the answer is to dress warmly and have good eye protection (goggles). Typically, prevailing winds from November to April do not favour slope flying at Lawrencetown, being mostly from the northwest and north. However. occasionally with the milder temperatures, a southwest flow occurs, which is just right on.
Keep your eyes on the weather forecasts and hopefully we can get a few days when everything lines up.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:42 pm

That would be great! I’ve been skiing in much colder weather than we are wont to experience here in NS; goggles are a good idea. I think it would be a great way to spend an afternoon.

I’ll keep my eyes on the wind reports. If anything looks particularly promising, don’t be shy to round up the troops.

rhyneheimer

Unread post by rhyneheimer » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:03 pm

in lieu of sea breezes, since in winter the ocean is warmer than land, we always ended up flying the "grassy knoll" at the other end of lawrencetown beach with various winds, mostly NW winds, altho' W, N, NE, or E are all possible - that whole hill can be fun - park on the side of the main road across from Crowell Road and cross the tracks/trail and hike up the hill path. also fun for coasting when there's snow!
Steve Ryan -
HEFA/MAAC pilot, slope soaring fanatic, electric enthusiast -
I am not a drone

Scooterboy

Unread post by Scooterboy » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:31 pm

Yup; I venture to the Larry Town slope in winter on occasion. Just to get it out of my blood. There are a few winter days of South or Southwest winds that make for some fun flying.
Like John O. will attest, it gets pretty cold, pretty fast standing in the wind, so dress warm with a windbreaker. However; if you walk to the left about 60 feet (towards Lawrencetown beach) the wind is a bit calmer and not quite as cold. There is a little clump of trees there.
As Steve R. pointed out the flying at the "grassy hill" at the other end of the beach, works pretty good too sometimes. It is not a MAAC sanctioned site, but if you fly within MAAC & transport Canada rules (not super high, and not around people etc;) I have been told that it is fine (I recently checked it out with MAAC).
Years ago we also used to fly near the container pier, what is now Africville Park? It faces North. Not great lift there and I remember a couple of planes going into the basin. I'm not sure whether this is a "drone free area" now or not. I would suggest checking this out further before venturing out.
Kevin Baker

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:43 pm

It's a long long time since we flew in the Seaview Park /Africville near the container area (in the 1980's).
The slope was only about 20 ft at best but served its purpose. Then some bright spark got the idea of planting lots of trees to pretty the place up and ended it's usefulness as a slope site.
As for the Grassy knoll south of Crowell road, it looks nice for NW winds, but winds coming from that direction are turbulated by a hill to the NW and result in poor lift over what appears to be a good slope.

Still hoping for the occasional day at the regular slope at Lawrencetown during the winter.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:01 pm

It looks like there is quite the group of slope enthusiasts!

Let us hope that a good day comes along this winter for us all to meet. I could use all the help I can get.