Weekend- September 26/27 2020

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
DoverSail

Weekend- September 26/27 2020

Unread post by DoverSail » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:22 pm

I don’t see a thread for the weekend in general so I figured I would start one myself. The weather on Saturday was not as promised, with lots of cloud cover, but many were in attendance (including an excellent turnout of sailplanes!).

I took some GoPro footage of the Shannon Park field on my Great Planes Spectra, which can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/PC9xRAJA_pw

An honourable mention to the chap with the orange plane that can be seen whizzing by me at 0:33s: thanks for keeping a level head, and sorry for the close call! I couldn’t climb as well as I was used to with the extra weight of the camera.

bdg

Re: Weekend- September 26/27 2020

Unread post by bdg » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:22 pm

Josh - thanks for starting the thread. Nice footage - thanks for sharing! That looks like Bill's plane at 33sec. Hopefully more space than it looks like in the video.

You're so right that we had a great weekend of flying! Saturday was a full house. Oftentimes a waiting line at the flight line. Full parking lot and then some!!! Nice to see the three gliders in the air too! I was happy to get my new F16 into the air and my fingers are slowly getting more comfortable with the plane.... a lot of jitters to start off.... thank goodness for EXPO or the plane pitch would have been oscillating like crazy! :lol:

Sunday seemed foggy and wet. I was not going to venture to SP but what a morning! Smaller crowds but more fun times. Lots of flights.

And a great welcome to new members Carl and Josh!! Josh has been at SP a few times with his Spectra and Carl is flying a FliteTest yellow Cub.

I am in the middle of printing a new nose cone for the F16... we'll see how it turns out!

Brian

DoverSail

Unread post by DoverSail » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:26 pm

Your F16 looked especially impressive when it left a vapour trail of dew behind it as it took off!

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:35 pm

Yeah, Josh.... it was something. I probably should have waited for the grass to be drier but was too excited to try it out. The EDF sure sucked in the little bit of water on the surface of the grass and pushed it out the back like a real exhaust. It was pretty incredible actually.

The F16 has quite a point and it broke during one of my landings. All ok for sure and just cosmetic. But the 3D print turned out perfectly. I am not sure how long the original was supposed to be but this one works for now and is easy to replicate.

Brian