Sunday March 29th, 2020

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
retiredVTT

Re: Sunday March 29th, 2020

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:38 pm

Well done Jeff ...why did you back up as the drone approached you..no faith in the operator..? (always a critic..eh..!)
If I recall, that strip cost in the vicinity of $10,000 back in the early 19080's. Imagine the price today..! I was a member until about 1981.

If you do that flight again, and have lots of faith in the machine, I'd love to see a close up of that open area further in from the road. Appears to be quite a large area ...then again it might be a bog..!

cheers, and stay save..
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

Ivan

Unread post by Ivan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:19 pm

looks like a nice place to fly my Cessna might have to check it out where is it from what i read not many use this site but i find it hard to see why being that its paved and grassy fill me in Jeff

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:21 pm

Ivan, just a wee bit of advice that I think Jeff would agree to; it's not a recommended place for a maiden..you'd be much better to use Shearwater if and when they get clearance.
This site is one where you just don't want to have a model go down anywhere but on the runway. At least that is the way I remember it. Jeff can advise if things have changed.
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

wildblue30

Unread post by wildblue30 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:15 am

Yes, Bill I agree this is not a very forgiving site for mishaps. The bush that can be seen on the other side of the runway in the video is very dense. It would be very difficult to traverse through to recover a plane. Luckily I have not had to do it yet, but I always come mentally prepared.

Ivan, is it the Carbon-Z Cessna 150 that you have? As much as I would like to see that fly from the runway, I would advise against maidening an large expensive model like that here. The field is located up Beaver Bank Road, about 20 kms from the intersection of Beaver Bank Rd and Sackville Drive. There is a chain gate at the road entrance. Several years ago a few of us (including Trevor F and Greg from MSC) joined the HRCC mostly for the purpose of flying our helicopters. It was fun for a while but eventually the group disbanded.

Today the field and runway are still in good shape. We try to get the field mowed at least once or twice each summer. During the months of July and August the field is deserted as the bugs make it unbearable. I fly there the other 10 months of the year.

Jeff
retiredVTT wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:21 pm
Ivan, just a wee bit of advice that I think Jeff would agree to; it's not a recommended place for a maiden..you'd be much better to use Shearwater if and when they get clearance.
This site is one where you just don't want to have a model go down anywhere but on the runway. At least that is the way I remember it. Jeff can advise if things have changed.
MAAC 85077
Tarot 450 Pro V2, H-King Voltigeur, E-Flite Ultimate 2, BAe Hawk EDF, H-King Wargo MX2, E-Flite Timber X, E-Flite UMX Timber X, E-Flite UMX A-10, Eachine E160, Eachine E180, YX F180 V2, MJX Bugs 3
Transmitter: RadioMaster TX16S

astroflyer

Unread post by astroflyer » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:04 pm

Thanks for the video of the runway. I am surprised that the pavement has stood up as long as it has. Cannot remember the year it was paved, but I was a club member back then and chipped in for the paving as the other members did. I'd guess sometime around 1980. At that time the growth on the edges was very low, but still very thick and hard to get through. At Least the other flyers could see you way out there in the sticks looking for your plane. Not any more unfortunately. I generally stop and have a look anytime I go through that way which is not often. Remember the bugs in the summer. Out of control! There was a lot of flying there over the years, a lot of very enjoyable flying!