Weekend - February 22/23, 2020

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
bdg

Weekend - February 22/23, 2020

Unread post by bdg » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:30 pm

Well... Sunday was another great day at SP. Saturday was windy and I am not sure of the turn-out (if any) but Sunday was quite good for winter flying. More than a dozen flyers at the field. Conditions were a little rough with ice patches on the field. The slope to the field was also quite icy but manageable if you traversed on the left side of the path. Temperatures hovered just above 0°C and light winds.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment of the day was that "the" tree reached out again. This time, Marc's 4-motor plane was captured in it's tentacles. Lots of extra help from members, coupled with lots of stick extensions, helped to free the plane. This also brought some attention from passer-bys including Sean from haligonia.ca. Sean was at our field probably 2 years ago and participated at that time in a training flight. Then he wrote a nice article to their 120k followers on social media. I am hoping that anything published regarding this incident will be equally positive towards HEFA.

Temperatures should be nice this week - enough to melt the ice. It could be time to remove floats and to return to wheels. But - then again - it IS March where we can get winter / spring all in one week.

Brian

JohnOSullivan

Re: Weekend - February 22/23, 2020

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:19 pm

Indoor Flying at Shearwater was good for the 15 fliers,with no ice or trees to contend with.
Richard Giles had an EDF delta which sounded like a banshee but flew very stably. Jim Haliburton brought a 3D printed wing with Hexagonal internal structure. I had my first indoor flight with my Mavic Mini which was surprisingly stable and has very good video.
Good to see the number if people out despite the winter conditions and bodes well for the coming season.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26