Vacation - should I bring a slope glider?

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
Jim Z in VT

Vacation - should I bring a slope glider?

Unread post by Jim Z in VT » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:07 am

Hi - I'll be visiting the Yarmouth & Lunenburg areas next week, and was hoping to do some slope soaring on some of your beautiful seaside bluffs if the winds (and my wife ;) ) allow. But with all the new regulations I'm not sure I should bother. Weeding through various government websites has me more confused than when I started. The glider I was planning on bringing (Dreamflight Ahi) is over the 250g limit (325g). But unsure whether that applies to non-powered models, or at sites far enough away from airports? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I was there for a longer stay 2 years ago, drove from Yarmouth to Cape Breton, but everywhere I went, the wind was at my back :roll:

- Jim

bdg

Re: Vacation - should I bring a slope glider?

Unread post by bdg » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:10 pm

Jim,

We have field permissions from the owner (Department of Natural Resources) for the use of RC flying at the Lawrencetown Bluff area. This was a prerequisite for an application to MAAC to add this as a HEFA approved field. As I am sure that you know, MAAC is similar to AMA in the US. MAAC approved the site and this allows us to fly under the MAAC safety umbrella at this site.

MAAC has worked extensively with Transport Canada who have, in turn, provided MAAC with a deviation from the new "basic" and "advanced" rules that currently exist for all remotely piloted aircraft (planes, drones, gliders, unpowered gliders, etc.).

So what does this mean to you? If you have MAAC or AMA coverage, you should be okay to fly. That said, common sense always prevails. We try to avoid people and need to make sure that conditions are suitable for the craft and that the plane is in good mechanical shape.

The 325g plane that you are talking about is very small.

I hope that this helps.

If you post when you might be going... then there is a possibility that others might be able to join you. If you are around on the weekend, then be sure to check out the local RC flying clubs.

All the best,

Brian

Jim Z in VT

Unread post by Jim Z in VT » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:05 pm

Thanks Brian. It's nice to hear there is a bit of common sense in the regulations.... moreso than here in the US it seems. The second half of next week would be my best shot at getting up to Lawrencetown. That looks like a beautiful place to fly. I stopped there on my last trip but as luck would have it the wind was wrong. I also have my eye on a couple of high bluffs near Hirtle Beach south of Lunenburg. Did some hiking there last time, but again wind was north.

Hope you made it through the storm okay. Sounds like the Halifax area got whacked pretty hard, but I haven't been able to find much info on how the Yarmouth and Lunenburg areas fared. I guess I will be seeing for myself in a few days. Neither of our hotels have called and told us to stay home....that's a good sign.

JohnOSullivan

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:27 am

Power back on after the hurricane and no damage. Jim, weather conditions over the next 10 days are a bit hit or miss, with mostly northerly or northwest. A few bits of south or southwest winds on Wednesday and Saturday, but it look like there may be some rain.
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/c ... .66,-63.59

when you get your movements coordinated give me a shout and I’ll try and get some guys out to Lawrencetown.
The Ahi is an excellent all weather sloper and we have at least one in our club.

With MAAC or AMA membership, with land owners permission, regulations are quite reasonable.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:44 am

I will sent the question to Cato, our MAAC Zone director for clarification as to whether or not an AMA member has the exemption from the TC chapter IX regs like we do as MAAC members.
Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Here is Cato's reply.

Hi Andrew,
Here is the official response:

He would need to have his AMA numbers and a tag on the plane somewhere so in case it flies away it can be identified. If he puts the same tag on his plane that we do that’s perfect. He can use the MAAC phone number. He can fly at our events the same as we do, just follow our rules.
He is covered by his AMA insurance to fly in Canada per the AMA/MAAC agreement.
He can fly at our sanction events or a field and he will be exempt from TC rules just like us.
But he cannot fly outside of that, in another word, only at a sanction field or site.

Hope that makes sense.
Cato.
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

Jim Z in VT

Unread post by Jim Z in VT » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:53 am

Thanks everyone for the info and research. Unfortunately while packing last night I found the Ahi has a stripped aileron servo and I don't think I have a spare. I don't have any other slopers that will break down small enough to travel with. So probably no flying fun on this trip. I'll let you know if I work something out, otherwise....maybe next time! Thanks again.

If you ever get down to Cape Cod give me a shout or post a note on the Cape Cod thread on RCGroups. That's where I do most of my flying; I make a few trips every spring & fall. Good slopes for multiple wind directions there.

Do you still do your annual slope fest at Lawrencetown?

-Jim

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:23 pm

We do. It was set for Aug 17 but the weather had lighter winds from the north, so it was cancelled.

Andrew
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

Jim Z in VT

Unread post by Jim Z in VT » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:41 pm

Hope to join you guys for that event some day. If you post a notice about it on the RCG slope forum, it might convince a few of us New Englanders to make the journey.