Weekend - August 24/25, 2019

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
bdg

Weekend - August 24/25, 2019

Unread post by bdg » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:25 pm

Not at bad morning at SP!!! Some wind, for sure, this morning which added lots of challenges and excitement to our routines. Probably a dozen flyers at SP.

I was able to get a few flights with my planes and then took Jerry up for an introduction to higher winds. The Apprentice responded like a kite as soon as the nose was lifted and that was a good learning lesson. Also, trying to come in from the right side was a little new...! "Don't fight the wind...". Jerry did great.

Tomorrow is looking to be a nice day with slightly lower winds. See you there!

Brian

bdg

Re: Weekend - August 24/25, 2019

Unread post by bdg » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:01 pm

It was a busy busy morning at SP this morning. Lots of people at SP when I arrived by 9:40am or so.

Lots of training as I started with new prospective member Mark (and his 6 yr old daughter!) on the club Apprentice for a flight. Mark proved his capabilities and we quickly moved to my P51D Mustang for some more advanced flying, via buddy box. A few novice mistakes by me as we were setting up the buddy box with my P51D but we were able to overcome. And then I had a demo flight on my VTOL Convergence.

Next was a flight with Jerry on the club Apprentice. That was followed by a flight on Jerry's Apprentice... this time we used his Dx4e as the master and tried to connect the club Dx5e as a slave via cable. No dice. So we moved to my newer Dx9 as the slave. And then the plane took off. Little control and broken the front clevis for the wheel on landing. Then back to the club trainer for another flight.

Next was Paul's P51D for a maiden. A few challenges with his DX6 and selective SAFE which requires a spare channel ideally via 2-position switch with throw set to 100% . The P51D uses:
  • 1 - Throttle
  • 2 - Elevator
  • 3 - Aileron
  • 4 - Rudder
  • 5 - Gear
  • 6 - Flaps
It seemed that we needed another channel for selective SAFE. An option was to give up the gear channel or perhaps to permanently remove SAFE. More research is required. In the end, we buddy boxed in SAFE mode for two flights. It flew great! What a nice plane! The SAFE system took care of mixing the elevator with the flaps. Quite a system!

I didn't get to fly myself other than the single Convergence flight.... so I am already looking forward to next weekend. Maybe I need to pack fewer planes! :roll:

Brian

AndrewS

Unread post by AndrewS » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:03 pm

Glad hear Paul got the Mustang flying.

From Horizon's page for the Mustang:
Needed to Complete

Full-Range 6-7+ Channel * 2.4GHz DSM2®/DSMX® technology

* 7+ Channels require to operate option SAFE Select technology
Funny thing...that you "need" 7 channels on a plane that comes with a 6 channel rx. That's a bit ODD.

I wonder, could you have SAFE on the same switch as say the gear. So you would have SAFE on with the gear down on take off, just AS3X with no SAFE when you pull up the wheels, and back on SAFE when you drop them for landing...no sure if it would work but couldn't hurt to try it. Of course with that setup your gear would be down if you had to fall back to SAFE mode, but the self leveling should keep everything stable. Just an idea.
Andrew Smith,
HEFA 3
MAAC 76250

retiredVTT

Unread post by retiredVTT » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:11 pm

Yes, I read that somewhere, Andrew. That's the two likely times that you would want "Safe" on. It might even be listed in my instruction manual with the V900.

Bill
Bill
HEFA #5
MAAC #13708

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:13 pm

Interesting idea.... combining the landing gear with the safe. I would expect that might work although it would be ideal to have these functions separated if at all possible. Interesting compromise for sure.

As for the 6-channel Rx .... maybe I am wrong here but perhaps there are 6 physical output channels but more internal channels available? The SAFE would be an internal option.

It is a strange configuration to have optional SAFE select.... the sticks need to be in a specific orientation and then move the switch in question 5 Xs from -100 to +100 in quick succession in order to have this feature active.

Lastly, we were able to apply SAFE select on Paul's Timber as it only requires 5 channels (throttle, ailerons, elevator and rudder as well as FLAPS). So one channel was left.

Always something to learn!!! Thanks for the input.

Brian

bdg

Unread post by bdg » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:22 pm

It looks like the Dxe Tx supports wireless training. I don't remember seeing that on Jerry's radio.

That Dxe seems to have a lot of options but almost all require a programming cable and PC for configuration.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W2d4XkIu8c

Still not sure why the wired buddy box did not work properly. The port on the radios is definitely supposed to be for the training port.

Brian