Victoria Day Weekend - 2019

Do you plan on flying? If so, let other members know the details.
bdg

Victoria Day Weekend - 2019

Unread post by bdg » Sat May 18, 2019 12:11 pm

Well..... the weather is not great for this weekend. It was *supposed* to rain all day on Saturday but we've been able to enjoy some better weather!

I did not get to SP until close to 10:15am. I was alone for a few flights until Bob S returned. He and Bruce M were at the flight line earlier this morning. For me, conditions started off ok but then the winds really seemed to pick up and the air was "soggy". This meant that I had to pull out the gloves... in May....! After a half-dozen flights, I left to recharge.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better. If Monday is good, then there should also be people at SP that day as well.

Brian

JohnOSullivan

Re: Victoria Day Weekend - 2019

Unread post by JohnOSullivan » Sat May 18, 2019 4:46 pm

I arrived at the field at 9am and Bruce and Bob were there. Winds were relatively calm so I flew my Bluenose Indoor model. It was a bit erratic due to too much elevator travel but it took the wind quite well. I had a flight on my 2m Mayfly and after landing the wind picked up strongly. John Fennell and Chris Dean showed up. John Fennell and I adjourned to my place where we fitted one of my new 3D printed tailmounts to his Mayfly and tuned up his trim setup.

Just had an approach from a new Canadian Model Kit manufacturer (Hummingbird Models). They want to produce laser kits of three of my Free Flight competition designs. Two of these were regular contest winners in the 60's and 70's and the third is a recent electric update which is currently doing well on the Scandinavian contest scene.
John
MAAC #5401 L
MACI (Ireland) IRL#26

bdg

Re: Victoria Day Weekend - 2019

Unread post by bdg » Sun May 19, 2019 3:07 pm

Well... today (Sunday) was a GREAT day. Great turn out. Nice to see Marc R, Paul M, Paul and Shelley at the field. Lots of "regulars" too - Bruce M, Bob S, Chris H, Bill F, Ron S, John L, John O'S, Andrew S and more at the field. Lots of activity. A few highlights:
  • Paul and Shelley had their DJI Mavic Pro up for a maiden flight. Everything went really great! We're anxious to see some of the pics and footage.
  • Paul and Shelley maidened a Sparrow.... first flight was 10', then 40' or so. Some more tweaks required.
  • Lots of time spent troubleshooting Paul M's Carbon Cub S+. In the end, the plane was "stuck" in a compass calibration step. But we were successful in the end and then Paul was able to fly a few battery packs.
And then.... just as Bill and I were leaving.... his car battery was d-e-a-d. Bill's thought was that this was the result of keeping his tailgate open all morning with the light still on. So... a trip to Princess Auto for me to buy cables (I had meant to have these in the car, but did not have a spare set) and to get the engine running again. A good lesson...let's make sure that others are ok before we leave (and a set of jumper cables don't hurt either :) ). So now I am prepared! I had looked at some the LiPo battery packs that are supposed to start your car.... but these cost more than $100 and the LiPo battery will have a limited life - especially if left in the trunk on a HOT summer day (we do have those, right?)!!!

Tentative plans for a BBQ next weekend. More to follow.

Brian